New Latitude 5470

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jasperjones, Dec 16, 2015.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It shouldn't reach 100C if the cooling system is working properly. Run HWiNFO, select Sensors and let it interrogate the Dell EC. This will give additional temperature information and also the fan speed. At what temperature does the fan start running at maximum speed and what is this speed? HWiNFO also shows the CPU power consumption. What is the CPU package power when running your high performance tasks? Do these tasks fully load both the CPU and GPU?

If the temperature continues to rise once the fan has reached maximum speed then the problem is most likely to be poor CPU pasting. Dell may be willing to send someone to redo the paste but you can get a better result by doing it yourself with a better quality paste (I use Noctua NT-H1 but other people have different favourites - see the hardware forum). Follow the disassembly instructions in the manual to remove the heat sink, thoroughly clean both the heat sink and the CPU and apply a small amount of paste. The equivalent of a couple of grains of rice is plenty - the objective is to have a very thin layer which fills any gaps between CPU and heatsink, extra thickness reduces the efficiency. Also remove any fluff from the cooling system. Then reassemble and check the effect on the temperature. If not a big difference then repeat with more or less paste - you will see when taking off the heat sink if there's too much or too little.

John

2. michael1996

michael1996 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got one e5470 from local cl for $200. I want to use it as a 4k pc to play my movies. I have a docking station k09a which should support displayport 1.2. I hope it will work.

Dell Latitude 14 E5470 (Latitude 14 Series)
    ProcessorIntel Core i5-6300U
    Graphics adapterIntel HD Graphics 520
    Memory8192 MB , Single-channel, DDR4-SDRAM, 1 of 2 slots occupied
    Display14 inch 16:9, 1366 x 768 pixel
    Storage intel ssd, 256 GB

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I would add another 8GB RAM so that it's dual channel which will give a boost to the Intel graphics as it uses the system RAM. Also, the extra RAM will help the whole system run a little smoother.

John

4. Balazs Zsoldos

Balazs Zsoldos Newbie

Reputations:
  5. popedja

popedja Newbie

Reputations:
    Did anyone update the BIOS to a "new" version 1.18.6 (06.02.2018)?

The first 1.18.6 BIOS was released on 21.12.2017. It was supposed to fix the Meltdown/Spectre issue.
    Dell rolled back to version 1.17.3 after users experienced performance problems and random reboots. Myself included :(

They posted this update a few days ago but it's exactly the same as the problematic one!?
    I have a previous file and a bit-by-bit comparison shows it's identical. Even the version number hasn't changed.

6. popedja

popedja Newbie

Reputations:
    From the Dell Precision 5510 thread:
    Looks like Dell just recycled the old BIOS update files.

7. edza

edza Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have experience with reapplying thermal paste? What kind of paste did you use? I am considering liquid metal, but i have read that i will destroy any aluminum it gets in contact with, so does anyone know what metal the thermal spreader is made of for the quad core version? thanks!

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I have plenty of experience with repasting but have never considered liquid metal. I'm currently using Noctua NT-H1. Usually, the Dell paste is applied a little thick and you may also find it has dried out. The purpose of the paste is to fill any gaps between the CPU (or GPU) and heatsink and maximise the direct metal-to-metal contact. Any thicker than that means a layer of paste between the two metal surfaces which will reduce the thermal performance. A dollop not much bigger than a grain of rice is usually enough. The best way to find out is to apply a small amount of paste (after thoroughly cleaning the surfaces), assemble and then take apart again to see whether the paste has spread to the edges in a very thin layer.

John

edza likes this.
  9. ncfoster

ncfoster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

My wife got a Latitude E5470 with an i5-6300U, integrated graphics, 8GB of memory and a 256 MB M.2 drive. It was originally intended to be a general use computer for web surfing, office stuff and skype. Now, I have pretty much inherited it and my main concern is Lightroom/Photoshop. While it is fine for what it is, the lack of dedicated graphics is definitely a bottleneck.

I am trying to decide whether it is worth throwing 32 GB of memory in it, or whether I should just get a matching piece of memory on eBay to get up to 16 GB, which would be much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with the difference between 16 GB and 32 GB in this machine for general use and/or photo editing? If so, is the difference worth it?

Also, what do I need to know about which docking stations are preferred for this device? Do good deals on them ever come up other than used?

Finally, I see reference to using the WWAN slot for another M.2 drive, but it would be slower. How much slower, and are there side effects on the rest of the system? I had another Dell where I put some parts in it that "worked", but the side effects to the rest of the system made for a less-than-stellar experience.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Graphics are a memory hog as everything gets stored as bitmaps. 16GB might be enough (8GB definitely isn't) but there's also an in between option: Add 16GB RAM to get 24GB. This will run in asynchronous dual channel which means that the first 16GB runs as dual channel and the remainder as single channel. The dual channel RAM will give the integrated graphics performance a boost.

If you want a dock then buy a used one. They don't wear out.

Putting an SSD in the WWAN slot may/may not work. I was successful when I had the E5570 (which is essentially the same platform) but others have reported failure. The SSD will run at SATA speed (around 500MB/s) which is slower than an NVMe / PCIe SSD but fast by any other standards. The choice of M.2 2242 SSDs is limited and it might be better to spend money on a higher capacity primary SSD where the market is more competitive. Higher capacities also tend to perform better as the memory access is spread across more chips.

John