New Latitude 5470

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jasperjones, Dec 16, 2015.

1. gnufreex

gnufreex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I was thinking about ordering the battery.
    I beleive I have this battery:
    https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=21246
    My service tag is SNIP so the battery DP/N is 7V69Y. On dell site it says 4-cell on partspeople it says 6-cell. Picture shows cells are organized in 2 series.

I want to get this one

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=19819
    This is clearly 4-cell 52whr battery and cells are orgnaized in 4-series. It is rated at 11.1V. While mine is 7.4 or 7.5, not sure.

It would help if other owners of e5470 post their battery info. I assume all who report shutdown problem have a 62Whr battery like mine. But I don't know.

Thanks everyone.

PS: Also, seems that I don't get a cable with this new battery. Can the old cable from old battery be plugged out and used with new battery? I did not pay attention to that when I was opening my laptop.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As of when I bought mine, I'm pretty sure there were some 2.5" SATA SSDs available as BYO options premier for it.

Yeah, 62W/hr, type 6MT4T, 7.6V per the label on the top. I can run the battery information in Linux when I get home, as I need it up in windows for Outlook while I'm at work.

3. gnufreex

Reputations:
    It seems that we both have Sandisk X400 SSD, your is m.2 mine 2.5 inch. I updated a bios today because dell person told me it will fix the issue. But it did not. In dmesg i have two errors

ahci 0000:00:17.0: port does not support device sleep
    [drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

First message is about SSD. Sata controler is on 0000:00:17.0. Found Ubuntu bug report about it, they recomend SSD firmware update. Sandisk says that one can be done only in windows. This message is most likely culprit why sometimes laptop does not wake from sleep mode but instead starts up the system again

Second dmesg error happens when I get screen flickering. It is repordedly ben fixed with BIOS update, but not if you use intel_iommu=on flag like me. It is also connected to power management. I think when those two are fixed, the shutdowns will go away. Both are firmware problems, so they manifest both in windows in linux.

4. gnufreex

Reputations:
    I think you (and other e5470 owners) should try new BIOS from 28 Sep 2017 . For me it seems to fix shutdown problem. Not a single shutdown since I updated. Dell person on dell forums directed me to new bios.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MYYHP

5. mr_handy

Reputations:
    I'm on BIOS 1.17.3, but I'm not sure I've used it on battery enough since upgrading to see if there's a difference.

I'm also on the latest SSD firmware according to the Sandisk tool; when I last checked, with an aftermarket Sandisk drive the Dell firmware tool did not work, but that was over a year ago when the machine was new.

Worth checking on the Sandisk firmware and trying the machine out on battery to see if the BIOS fixed it without my knowing it.

6. gnufreex

Reputations:
    I have did some thorough testing, here are my findings posted on dell forum.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/20022231/21026554#21026554

I am planning to get NVMe SSD and 66whr 6Cell battery which is 11V. Already got the M.2 SSD bracket. I can get NVMe SSD, but don't know where to find 66WHr battery, asked dell person on forums he told me i need to chat with Dell sales rep and ask about SKU 451-BBUE. Which I did and got told they are out of stock for those, and offered me same 62whr 7.4V battery I have right now. I don't think there is something wrong with this battery, but probably this one should not be used with HQ processor, need stronger battery for that. If nothing I will get 48whr, it is also 11V. It will last less, but at least no surprises.

7. gnufreex

Reputations:
  8. mr_handy

Reputations:
    Thanks for the part number on the 11V 66Whr battery! Hope those come back into stock soon.

9. mr_handy

Reputations:
    I wonder whether this one for the E5480 would fit, and what the voltage is? I don't think we have an E5480 thread, but will look.