New Laptop Recommendation Needed - are Costco Laptops Any Good?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kellyjo7, Sep 13, 2021.

1. kellyjo7

kellyjo7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Time for a new laptop for my family. I have a 600$ Costco card. Are any Costco laptops good?

Thanks so much in advance!

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2500 or less

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Probably Mainstream open to thin and light

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer

no preference
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Office work, internet browsing and streaming, some gaming of mostly older games (e.g Rome Total War rts, combat flight simulators)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both but mostly on desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes see above

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

will mostly be used at home where can be plugged in but will occasionally use in different rooms away from charger

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

online without seeing is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

no preference

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

no preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

not really prefer on the lighter weight style but won’t be using away from desk/home much so midweight is fine

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

enough to store 10 years worth of photos, some videos, a few games, standard windows/ms office software and office files

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

within next month can wait longer

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop

3-5 years hopefully

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

have work laptops and an iMac so quite a while

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

fine with shipping

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Costco sells laptops from the same manufacturers that you'd find at Best Buy, Amazon, etc. There may be some models that are unique to them, but those differences typically come down to RAM or storage. Probably the best all-arounder you get from them right now is this MSI GP66. While $1,800 is not a bad price for an RTX 3070 GPU, there's always a chance that it will go on sale, so if you can wait a couple weeks/months, it might be worth doing so.

MSI Leopard GP66 Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H - GeForce RTX 3070 - 144Hz - 1080p | Costco

Since you're not going to be doing any heavy-duty gaming, you can also look at this Lenovo Legion 5 Pro. The GPU isn't great, but the rest of the specs are solid, especially since it would only cost you $500+tax out of pocket.

Lenovo LEGION 5i Pro 16" Gaming Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H - 165Hz 2560 x 1600 Display - Storm Gray | Costco

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The nice thing about buying at Costco is you get 90 days to return it and an additional year of warranty. Plus, I believe if you use the Costco Citibank card, you get two more years of warranty for a total of four. The laptops themselves aren't any better than the ones sold at other retailers. The downside of buying at Costco is it'll probably cost more and it limits your selection.

Since you've got a healthy budget I'd focus on getting what you want as opposed to saving by purchasing it at a specific retailer. The Dell XPS 15 is an excellent notebook that's well built and offers a gorgeous screen. If you don't mind a return, you can probably get one in the Dell Outlet with a discount.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest making a backup of your photos/videos. If something happens to their current storage device, they'll be gone forever.

4. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    OP has a $600 Costco gift card so there's no reason to look for a laptop from another retailer.

5. kellyjo7

Reputations:
    Thank you all! Yes I strongly prefer Costco because of the 600$ I apologize as, while I can afford 2500 should have specified that I prefer under 2k.

Greatly apologize again as I haven’t bought a laptop since 2015.

Really appreciate all your help!

6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    upload_2021-9-13_18-45-49.png

upload_2021-9-13_18-47-55.png

So, if you do indeed have the Citi Costco Visa it might be a total of 3-years if the MFG warranty is 1-year. These warranty things get complicated in how they determine the total length where OEM ends / CC picks up.

Anyway... there are some peripherals that might be worthwhile on the GC balance but, there's a decent HW selection to pick from. The only downside is not being able to customize anything prior to ordering but, it makes pickup /shipping considerably faster.

https://www.costco.com/pc-laptops.h....&sortBy=item_location_pricing_salePrice+desc

For me this is where the GC comes into play. If you don't need to carry these with the laptop 24/7 a portable drive would be a good use for the GC.

https://www.costco.com/hard-drives-memory.html?sortBy=item_location_pricing_salePrice+desc
    https://www.costco.com/sandisk-nvme-extreme-portable-1tb-solid-state-drive.product.100780552.html - $140 / 10gbps - there are 2 other sizes listed online though if you need something bigger / less portable

7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    As someone who actually is a Costco member and who has the Visa card, I will tell you that you get three additional years of coverage for a total of four.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is this the same logic as offering up a notebook with a RTX3070 to someone who plays mostly older games from the mid-00s? :)

It's perfectly reasonable to buy a notebook from Costco because you have a gift card, but it's also not out of line to say I prefer something else because Costco has a limited selection and retail tends to be more expensive versus online unless the gift card can only be used for a notebook. The OP doesn't need much. They could spend a third of their budget and have enough oomph. An Acer Aspire 5 would suffice. The $64,000 question is how much storage space do they require?

I have a Citibank card too, not Costco because I live too far, and you get an additional two years of warranty regardless of whether you buy it at Costco or not. I figure by year three if it breaks, I'm looking for a new notebook anyway, so is it worth paying more for the fourth year? I would say no, but others may feel differently.

9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good to know! I keep tabs on CC's as well for their hidden perks but, Citi is not one that I pay a focus to. I've had a couple of their cards and they're mediocre for daily use. I do keep one on hand though for perks like this. I have an add on member card for Costco though for gas as they have the best prices for 93O which keeps my car / supercharger happy. I haven't set foot in the "store" though in probably 8 years as I had a Sam's card for primary shopping in bulk. Than again I cancelled that a couple of years ago because they kept closing down the CC for lack of use because I got better returns on other cards.

The SKU's might be slightly different for warehouse laptops though they're typically in line with the primary SKU with slight variations in specs. You typically won't get much hand holding though when buying from a warehouse as they don't keep people on staff that are nerdy to assist with picking the best option. I would say though a 4-year warranty is a great perk if you're hard on electronics and find yourself replacing the often.

10. kellyjo7

Reputations:

Thanks again. I ended up going with the LEGION as I was at Costco shopping yesterday and they had it in stock on sale.

Thanks for the advice on the warranty, I’m in the process of looking at purchasing a new house so I don’t want to apply for another card but I will keep that in mind for the future.

It does come with 2 year right if I’m reading what you posted correctly?

I’ve never had to use a warranty on a laptop is that a common occurrence?

Pardon my ignorance thanks again!