new laptop needed UK

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ArmageddonAsh, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmageddonAsh

ArmageddonAsh Mangekyo Sharingan

Reputations:
    Yeah, if the Alienwares used the same look as the older series of laptops then i would snatch one up without even thinking as the older ones looked AMAZING. I just think the new models look really tacky :(

What are the exact specs you got? The problem with gaming laptops at the moment its either one way or the other - flashy and lights, lights, lights or the plain, boring and depressing kind of look lol

2. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haha, they look nice tbh, only the odd person would even know its an alienware anyways tbh, otherwise they think its another laptop (if you have the lights off).

Mine was the
    m17x R4
    i7 3630QM
    6gb ram (upgraded myself)
    500gb 7200rpm (added SSD myself)
    windows 7
    gtx 680m
    killer wireless
    1080p glossy screen.
    RRP was over £1600 discounts and coupons later is came to £1370 + £50 cashback as well. The gtx680m was a £250 option, the ATI would have been about £50 in comparison. (It was on offer my system automatic discount of £205 and 10% coupon code + free delivery coupon code).

Whilst there are other companies, some in the UK building custom laptops, they look a bit bland and sometimes I never have heard of the brand, plus they have broadly the same parts as what I got built anyways. It is quite heavy though, but kind of expected anyways.

EDIT: Just looked there are no offers on the m17x at the moment :(, make sure when you can that you get a written quote before you buy, I have my quote for the system at that price and they should honor it within a month or two i think.

Seen the Dell 17R SE for about 700-800 with a 650m in it, 1080p full hd 17 inch display. i5 or quad core i7.

3. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    The problem with Alienware - would be looking at over £2,000 for a similar kind of build as the ones i have been currently looking. Its VERY over priced.

Specs wise i would go for similar builds - I7, 7970m, 16GB ram.

They both have different benefits:

P17OEM:

+ Games Bundle worth about £100
    + Fast Build Time (upto 1 day)

- Only 2 Hard drive slots
    - Not as customizable

XMG P722

+ More customizable
    + More Hard drive slots

- No Free Games Bundle
    - Case Lid not plain
    - More Expensive

I have been looking at the 15inch models as well, but even there i am still not quite sure where i should be spending my money. The Games Bundle is a pretty solid deal with the games worth like £100 so that reduces the real cost of the system.

However the chassis used in the P17OEM seems to be slightly different to the XMG chassis with more limited RAM, only 2 hard drive slots an only 1 graphics card slot - not sure if the XMG has 2 slots if you pick a single card configuration.

4. DDDenniZZZ

Reputations:
    Hmm, I would say they are overpriced as no one should be paying full price anyways.

Saw this spec
    English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
    2GB GDDR5 AMD® Radeon™ HD 7970M
    6144MB (1x2GB + 1x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD
    17.3" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD
    Alienware M17x Stealth Black
    DVD+/-RW (Read/Write)
    Killer Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO with Bluetooth 4.0
    Primary 9 cell Li-Ion Default Base Battery
    Anti Virus Not Included
    1 yr Next Day In-Home Hardware Support
    No Accidental Damage Protection

£1384 at the moment, could haggle it down a bit too :) would be even cheaper if you can wait for a voucher code to come out.

Not sure on the other builds and prices of them, I can't really help you there sorry.

5. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    Its not bad, but the other builds come with 16GB ram, 2x1TB hard drives as well as 256GB SSD for £1,400. Compare that to a similar build of Alienware and you are looking at £2,000+

The problem comes with the size and the weight. Oh how i wish they made the kind of build i want in a Envy or Macbook size chassis lol

6. DDDenniZZZ

Reputations:
    Yeah those do sound slightly cheaper bear in mind that 1tb HDD is around £50, plus 256gb samsung 830 SSD £130 and 16gb ram worth £50 so its usually cheaper to buy it yourself and add it in when you can. I doubt you will find a hd 7970m in a thin chassis, probably melt the plastic around if it started gaming haha. A GTX 650m or 660m would fit in something thinner I guess. Could possibly get a MBP 15 (non retina) with 650m for around £1400( get a very nice student to buy it for you) , depends if your willing to compromise on performance for thinness/weight.

7. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    Yeah thats the problem, knowing that i want to game on it as well and that doesnt normally allow for thinness - maybe in 5-10 years lol.

Yeah thats what i was thinking - buying the Hard drives separate. Would have been nice if buying without OS was an option with Alienware.

However getting 7970m would mean getting the AMD game deal as well on same websites - mysn doesnt seem to have that deal though which is disappointing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.