New Laptop - Gaming (Multiboxing)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by DanP, Sep 12, 2017.

1. DanP

DanP Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I'm looking at spending around £2000 ($2600) but will up to £2500 if it's going to massively increase my performance and just not go with accessories for now.

Got a new job and so will be on the road a bit, looking for a Laptop that will multibox World of Warcraft (around 10 clients).

Has a big strain on both graphics and CPU from my experience:

START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    £2000-25000 ($2650-3300)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

UK - Online

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Alienware / Razer / Aorus
    b. Dislike: Asus / MSI

This preference is looks only! I'm not 100% on the gaming style ones but I don't think I will get away from the fact these are the only machines that have the performance I want. Love the style of the Razer but not sure a Blade 14's looks are going to win over the performance increase of the others. Will consider the Asus ROC and MSI just preference with looks.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Multiboxing 10x World of Warcraft accounts at the same time

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Lugging to hotels when working away from home

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

10x WOW and other games BF1 etc

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

1hr or so, I have alternative devices

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I know this will not be available for some online systems

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

W10 Pro

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

I don't mind - FHD or maybe UHD but not 4K

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

I prefer "professional" looking devices like the Razer but also need the performance to be good for budget.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

2 weeks

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3 Years or so

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

512GB fast (SSD) at least

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

==========
    END COPY

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  2. DanP

DanP Newbie

Reputations:
    Currently looked at:

Alienware 17 (~£2400)

Alienware 17"
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
    Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocking up to 4.4GHz )
    16GB DDR4 at 2667MHz (2x8GB)
    512GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Asus 17.3" ROG G752VS G-SYNC Core i7 GTX 1070 Gaming Laptop Bundle

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
    Intel Core i7 7820HK
    32GB DDR4 - 2800(OC)
    512 GB SSD

Razer Blade 14

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM)
    Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad-Core Processor with Hyper-Threading 2.8GHz / 3.8GHz (Base/Turbo)
    16GB (8GB x 2) dual-channel slotted memory (DDR4, 2400MHz),

ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS GTX 1080 Max-Q G-SYNC Gaming Laptop

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ
    16GB (8GB On-Board + 1x 8GB In-Slot)
    DDR4 - 2400
    512 SSD (M.2 PCIe NVMe)

I'm currently swinging towards the Alienware as although it goes against my normal aesthetics it's realistically only me that will see it (I have a Surface Book for work). I just feel the MSI stuff looks a little too bulky. Although I worry about reports the Alienware cannot handle heat very well? Ultimatley, WoW is not intensive at all and even running 10 clients doesn't put huge strain on a system, just never really done it on a non-desktop machine.

I like the look of the ROG Zephyrus and the Razer but both are cutting on the performance and then I would imagine also the ability to dissipate heat?

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Check these:
    LGA cpus
    MSI 16L13/Eurocom Tornado F5
    Clevo P750dm2
    Clevo P775dm3
    Clevo P870km

or HK cpus
    MSI GT62VR 7RE
    MSI GT72VR 7RE
    MSI Gt73VR 7RF

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    ThatOldGuy likes this.
  4. robbug

robbug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a gut feel here - 10 clients is pretty cpu intensive...I'd lean towards a desktop class cpu for your notebook needs.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need a Desktop CPU for your 10X WOW. Being on the road I would recommend EVOC 16L-G-1080. It is a 15" laptop with i7-7700K CPU and GTX 1080 GPU. It is also more powerful stock than any option you have (it runs very cool at 4.5 GHz CPU where, If you even manage Overclocking HK cpus, they will run very HOT). I clock my EVOC at 4.6 GHz and get temps in the 70's

It only weighs 6.4 LBs (2.9kg) vs. the 9.74lbs (4.4kg) of the Alienware 17 and the 9.4lbs (4.3kg) of the Asus

The Zephurus and Razer CPU's are much too weak

sicily428 likes this.
  6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I have 5-boxed on the Eurocom Tornado F5 (6700k + GTX 1070), but I would suggest using an external keyboard with it because the palm rest gets very, very hot when the CPU and GPU are continuously at their max TDP. This was even with repasting the GPU / CPU and running with max fans turned on. I also used an Alienware 17, with a 6820HK + GTX 1080. It was more comfortable that the Eurocom Tornado while multiboxing, but was obviously heavier and larger.

7. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    That shouldn't happen. I've maxed mine for hours and even overclocked. Palm rest and keyboard remains moderately warm even with +200/200 GPU and 4.8 GHZ CPU @ 90C.
    It gets hot around the escape and F keys

Most likely your SSD drives are getting way too hot (right under palm rests). With some copper cooling on mine, they stay ~40C. I've seen un-cooled Toshiba drives get as hot as 80C.

8. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's been a long time since I played WOW but I'm curious, what exactly "multiboxing" is. Do you actually play 10 characters at once?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    I never played WOW but heard of it

Basically you run multiple WOW accounts simultaneously, and bind them together with keyboard macros, and hotkey sharing

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Multiboxing

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I only had a 2.5 inch 2TB Crucial MX300. I didn't use any PCIe SSD's in that machine. The alienware had a 1TB PCIe PM960 but it didn't seem to generate much more heat than the Crucial SSD.

There were many times when I only ran a single WoW client at max settings, and that did not heat up the machine at all compared to running five clients at medium settings during multiboxing. It probably does not help that ISBoxer is doing some pretty complex stuff under the hood to allow instant switching between all clients, video feeds for background clients, mouse broadcasting with high precision to the background clients, etc.

ThatOldGuy likes this.