New Laptop for Work/Gaming - $3500 Budget

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Airn23, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Airn23

Airn23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You all helped me 4 years ago when I bought my current laptop - a Sager/Clevo P750zm maxed out.
    want to max out again but not just most expensive, but what is BEST performance and somewhat future proof for the next 3-4 years if it happens to be most expensive then OK

START COPY

==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Up to $3,500

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Currently have a 15"
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen .
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager, Origin, Alienware
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? NO

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Photoshop, Video Editing, Web Development and my primary gaming machine

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? will be taking it from work to home every day

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    All the newest games (Battlefield V, Anthem, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and some classics (CSGO)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Don't care about battery, will always plug in

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Definitely want a 144hz Full HD with GSYNC

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Prob prefer matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? To an extent but not to sacrifice function and performance

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? Want the fastest. Please give recommendations

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 3-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Not at all

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? i'd do whatever it takes

==========
    END COPY

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That is a lot of cash.

Ok. Start with the easy question.
    Are you sure that a single laptop is the way to go?

While you can get the best laptop it will never have the screen size and graphics power of the desktop which your requirements would make good use of.

So are you happy with what you have at work where you presumably don't play games? If not I must warn you that outside games 4 years hasn't seen any dramatic improvements.
    If you are then how about keeping it and buying a home desktop with bags of memory, a hyped up video card and of them 4k screens big enough to read the text on?
    Or, if you must, one for work as well, with your laptop left for backup.

Why commute each day with a laptop when you can have a machine at each end?

3. Airn23

Reputations:

This is going to be my primary computer for everything - as was the current laptop I am using. It is starting to overheat when gaming and reboot on its own the screen no longer works without flickering and its end of life is close. Work is paying for the new one as well and I want something that serves 2 purposes - creative work and high end gaming. I usually game at a friends house for the most part and almost always have it connected to a monitor as well. I do want the 144hz screen though for the times I don't have it connect to an external monitor.

4. Airn23

Reputations:
    Checking in again. I have it narrowed to one of these 2:
    SAGER NP9156 (CLEVO P750TM1-G)
    MSI GE75 RAIDER-048

I spoke with Donald at HIDEvolution for a long time (great guy!) and I am going to purchase one of these from him.

Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

5. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    _ MSI GE75 RAIDER-048: 17.3'', seems thinner than the Clevo. With an RTX 2070 or 2080, I'm not sure about cooling.
    A setup with an 8750H + 2080, Display calibration, Minimal light bleed panel, 30-day no-dead-pixel guarantee, Upgraded cooling, 2x8GB @2,666MHz RAM, MSI 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe, 1TB 7,200 RPM, Win 10 pro, Win 10 Recovery USB stick, and a 280W power adapter would cost you about $3,020.

_ Clevo P750TM1-R: 15.6'', given your main usage as gaming, and especially media creation, two more physical cores on the 9900K may be something to consider, which only the Clevo offers, between your options.
    A setup with 9900K + 2080, Upgraded cooling, 2x8GB @2666MHz RAM, 1TB 7,200RPM HDD, 144Hz screen, 30-day no-dead-pixel guarantee, Minimal light bleed panel guarantee, Display calibration, Win 10 pro + key, Driver USB stick, 2x330W power adaters + converter would set you back roughly $3,700.

I configured these while typing the reply.

6. Airn23

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with HIDEvolution -
    Custom Built MSI GE75 9SG Raider-655 - 17.3" Thin Bezel FHD 144Hz - i9-9880H - RTX 2080