New laptop for application development

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by sshehab, Nov 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sshehab

sshehab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm planning to buy a new laptop at Christmas, the main use for it will be for Java applications development and few games from time to time, my main concerning will be its performance, battery lifetime and not less than 15" screen, I want something may last for 4 or 5 years without changing, also my budget around 2000$ maximum, I have access to USA or Canada markets, any recommendations for some laptop models?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Applications for what platform? AFAIK, if you want to develop for iOS you can only do so on a macbook.

3. sshehab

Reputations:
    Most of the applications is Java technologies.

kojack likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    check out dell's inspiron 15 7000 black edition. great device at a great price.

5. sshehab

Reputations:
    It looks good, however, I'm not interested in 2 in 1 device, what about Lenovo I heard it has good performance & battery life nut a little bit pricy

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lenovo's are built like tanks. I just cant get past their looks. IBM all over again. They need to step up their design game.

7. sshehab

Reputations:
    Ya, you are right, although that many people thank in their laptops performance and battery.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree. They are built very well. But I had an IBM thinkpad in 2001 when I was selling insurance, the lenovos now look essentially identical.

9. sshehab

Reputations:
    I did some searches and I reached the below devices that I think may satisfy my requirements, which one is good from performance , battery life and future upgrade perspectives ?
    1- Lenovo ThinkPad P15v Mobile Workstation , 2069$
    https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptop...hinkPad-P15v-Mobile-Workstation/p/22WSP15P5V1
    2- Dell XPS 15 2350$
    https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/del...ptop/spd/xps-15-9500-laptop/nxps159500_s1400e
    3- ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 2033$
    https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x1/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

Thanks

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For a laptop that is going to be used for work, I suggest a business notebook for its better dependability and after-sales support. The ThinkPad X1 Extreme is a good pick for combining quality, business features, and enough power for mild gaming. It seems hard to go wrong. You might check the Lenovo Outlet to get a better deal, or eBay. There is nothing wrong with saving a few dollars going the refurbished route if it was refurbished by the manufacturer and is covered under warranty by the manufacturer.
    Charles

Rokobo likes this.