New Intel Dothan Mobile Chip

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rtknecro, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtknecro

rtknecro Newbie

Reputations:
    I've read articles saying that Intel will release their new Dothan chips in early Feb (4) of 2004. The new chips use the 855GME chipset and have the same specs/power saving features as the current Centrino (Banias) while upgrading to 2MB of L2 cache instead of the Banias' 1MB. Does this means that the prices of current Centrino notebooks will fall in the months to follow? Dell is also offering its new line of D505 notebooks based on the 855GME chipset. Any other news on the Dothan?

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Correct, the current Pentium M architecture is powered by Intels Banias core, but performance with multimedia and other demanding apps will be improved upon later this year with the next generation of Intels chip incorporating the new Dothan core of the Pentium M processor. We should see Dothan based processors in Feb/March. While at CES a friend of mine saw a Tablet PC using the new Intel chip (oops, did I just say that), he said the performance improvement was significant and easy to see.

No doubt the old chip prices will drop when Dothon hits the market, just the way things happen.

3. mikeguava

mikeguava Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

do you happen to have any links to the news you read? Also to the D505 notebooks?

Thanks

mike

4. m3

m3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mike,

You can find news about the next Pentium M and the Dell Latitude D505 right here at NotebookReview.com

Pentium M:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1698

D505:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.aspx?newsID=1694

5. mikeguava

mikeguava Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the reply[:)]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.