New Intel 8th-gen laptop with GTX 1070 for $1800

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vIkInG_w0w, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The comparison I was doing just to clarify was with the PA71ES. It was not a Max Q laptop.

That 50% edge for the 1070 also seems a little optimistic. Many games on many laptops don't have that much of an edge. It's still quite significant though. It is like 50% gpu score wise in firestrike.

Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I stand by my claim ... click on the link below and scroll down to the games section. The difference seems to be between 45% and 50% for 1080p high and 4K, where the CPU isn't a bottleneck.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-GTX-1070-Laptop_7362_7364.247598.0.html

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I'm aware of that page. At 4K it's definitely pretty true. I was thinking more of more realistic scenarios where cpus do play a factor... Something like this: Which is more important these days when going for high framerates over 4k.

Where some games have pretty poor benefit. Though against my own argument those are much older cpus. I mentioned the firestrike score implying when the gpu is all that matters the scaling should be pretty similar.

It's honestly irrelevant nitpicking, the gain is on average quite substantial from a 1060 to 1070 between like... 30-55% depending on use case.

Aroc, hmscott and RampantGorilla like this.
  4. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH everyone for your input! It really took a load off my mind.

Indeed the MSI Raider seems a very good choice and HIDe also has $100 rebate option along with NBR and cash discount but @RampantGorilla did make a good point that if I'm spending $2k+ I might as well get a GTX 1080.

@Phoenix As crazy as your RAID 0 SSD setup is, I think even a normal SSD will suffice my needs since this will be my first SSD system (yes, I'm late to the party :D). I kind of want to know if I should get a crazy fast NVMe SSD like the 970 Evo (just announced) or go with a regular M.2 SATA SSD for my aforementioned uses. Also, I understand Liquid Metal is awesome but do thermal pads really help that much with temperatures?

@hmscott I wasn't really thinking of a slim profile, its just the Clevo and MSI Raider both appear to be slim form factors but unfortunately the GS series is out of my budget.

For now, I'd like to wait a little till the PA71ES-G review(s) just so I can be at ease that I made the right decision.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My crazy RAID setup is believe it or not, not for the combined speeds of those SSDs in RAID 0 but more importantly to combine the storage into c: 200 GB and the rest 5.5 TB partition for my large videos collection.

Getting ANY SSD will be super fast and snappy. you won't be able to tell the difference between the latest 970 Pro and a 3 year old SSD unless you do synthetic benchmarks so go with the cheapest option which gives you the max capacity.

Also, if you do end up joining the HIDevolution Gaming Team, then you can tag me so I can tweak your laptop if you wish, only for HIDevolution Gaming Team Members. These are the Phoenix Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Removal of nVIDIA and Intel Telemetry
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the classic Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    9- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    10- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    11- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    12- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    13- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
    14- Updating all drivers
    15- Creating a system restoration image using Macrium Reflect

[​IMG]

Aroc, FrozenLord and hmscott like this.
  6. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello @Phoenix,

I got my new EVOC PA71ES-G and have done most of the stuff by following your guides and tweaks to heart and Windows is running like a blast! The only tweak I wasn't sure of was disabling Intel and NVIDIA telemetry. Reading about them for a while in multiple websites and forums had me disabling "Intel Telemetry v2" and "NvTmMon, NvTmRep and NvTmRepCR1,2,3" in Autoruns; was this the correct way?

Also regarding driver updates, can I download the latest ones from OEM websites instead of manufacturer (except the Audio driver)?

7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    1) Don't delete the nVIDIA Telemetry otherwise GeForce Experience won't work to optimize your games, this has been unfortunately enforced the last few months by nVIDIA

2) Using Autoruns64.exe, just type in telemetry in the filter and delete the Intel Telemetry Task

3) With regards to the drivers, you're right, download the important updates like Intel Chipset, Intel Management, Card Reader, except the audio driver to ensure the laptop specific features if it has the SoundBlaster app for example work correctly

Aroc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.