New Inspiron 7537/7737 Touch, Haswell and GT750m

Discussion in 'Dell' started by [-Mac-], Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trueg

trueg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm definitely a Power User (mostly gaming), but that doesn't mean I have a lot of money to spend.

I spent over $2000 on my last Dell (Precision M4400), but it's pushing 5 years now. I can't spend that much this time. I would have kept the 17R Special Edition I ordered in May if it didn't overheat and throttle like it did.

My biggest concern is that the cooling system is going to be a problem here as well.

TrueG

2. trueg

Reputations:
    Huh, I just realized that the 14" and 15" models don't have optical drives. I wonder if that allows the 15" model to have two drive bays or if the SSD option is just mSATA.

Maybe they dedicated the extra space left by the optical drive for cooling. Wouldn't that be nice. ;)

3. trueg

Reputations:
  4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    a 4 cell gives me pause...I equipped my D630 with a 9 cell and was (well until the battery wore out..managed to get a replacement under warranty...the 9 cell on the D series is so bad) spoiled by the long battery life.

I gotta remember it's Haswell though and technology's improved since 07. Glad to see that one will be able to access the battery.

I guess the system seen with a optical drive in the CNet hands on was the 17 inch. I'm shocked that the 15 inch doesnt have it but maybe that'll leave space for other stuff.

5. trueg

Reputations:
    Ya, a 4 cell battery is pretty small. There's no way it will provide enough current to run the GPU on battery. Guaranteed, you will be restricted to just the Intel 4400 GPU on battery. Which is fine since the Haswell GPU is a major improvement over the 4000.

I also don't mind that there's no optical drive, assuming the space is put to good use and there's some cost savings. I already have a portable USB DVD-RW and I rarely use the drive on my current laptop.

6. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just checked the 15 inch models on Dell Euro sites. The highest end model has a nvidia GT 750M SLI OMG. I just hope it wont have throttling issues as it is quite thin.

7. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, but where did you see GT750m SLI?
    I have just checked Dell.it, Dell.de, Dell.co.uk and the max GPU is a simple GT750m with 2GB GDDR5.

8. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My mistake I mixed the sites. it wouldn't make sense anyway as a 4 cell battery would be drained too fast.
    Anyway as long as they don't get overheated & throttled they should be fine. Not to mention the WiFi problems that XPS line had

9. trueg

Reputations:
    Why would Dell announce that the 15 7000 would be available with a 1080p screen and NVidia graphics and then not have them available on release day. :(

At least they are not available in Canada or the US.

10. XanderLo

XanderLo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought the exact same thing when I saw the product this morning. I was almost ready to order a fully equipped 15" with FHD display. :(
    Have you guys ever looked at the Acer V7-482PG-6662? IPS FHD display, Touch, Haswell i5-4200U, good construction, 14" though. I had almost ordered it but then I thought my eyes would be bad for getting a 14" 1080p display. ;p