New Inspiron 7537/7737 Touch, Haswell and GT750m

Discussion in 'Dell' started by [-Mac-], Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Tablets as iPad (retina) have great touch screens. YES
    Some desktop screens have great touch screens. YES

but i assume we talking about laptops here. And like i Said before. Touch screens on laptops are Way behind compared to top of the line TN or IPS panels.

2. trueg

trueg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of room for cooling. I sure hope we are not looking at overheating issues again. I've been waiting since May for a Haswell replacement for the 17R Special Edition. Spec wise this has everything I was looking for. As long as anti-glare is an option and it doesn't overheat.

3. trueg

Reputations:
  4. trueg

Reputations:
    Blehh..
    "Combination headphone/ microphone jack"

Hmm, that doesn't seem right for the 17" model, does it?
    "Starting weight of 7.3 lbs (3.29 kg) with optional touch display"

5. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well Special Edition kinda implies that it won't be around forever lol. The 17 inch Inspiron isn't killed off and you'll be able to get one in the 7000 series. Whether the 3 or 5000 series offer a 17 inch size remains to be seen. (I suspect they will)

Personally, I would at least see how the new 7000 series fares in reviews and such. At least for me, this is the first Inspiron system I've got my eye on in a very long time...IMO it marks the return of Dell finally taking the Inspiron line seriously again in terms of construction and attention to detail, just like the 1420/1520/1720 days.

Sure, those machines weren't exactly in vogue in terms of weight and thickness but they were truly over engineered in terms of construction and thoughtful touches.

More and more PC makers seem to be going that route for the headphone jack..surely there's enough space on a 17 inch laptop for two separate jacks though. o_O

The lack of HD5000 graphics (or Iris Pro) on the integrated graphics models is disappointing. I get that Apple's likely got the former on lock for MacBook Air but surely not the latter.

6. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Exactly. I currently own an inspiron 1520. it was a grat machine when I bought it. Amazing CPU, GPU ( for when I bought it ofc) no throttlin, no overheating issues but still it was well enginered.

I just don't want to get a new inspiron that will compromise the perfomance part just to have a nicer looking laptop.

Laptops for me are not just gadgets, it is ok fi theya re nice etc but they are more important as tools

7. trueg

Reputations:
    I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter regarding this announcement. Is everyone waiting until they get released on Thursday or does no one care?

TrueG

8. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am sorta the same way, so I get that for sure!

Part of it can likely be blamed on the tablet craze - a lot of people would rather just have a tablet for portable stuff and no longer need to upgrade as often. Another can likely be due to a Dell Inspiron release not exactly being on most power users radar (they'll likely look at XPS, Alienware or Latitude/Precision systems first due to the Inspiron's brand image as of late.

Most places report the release as thursday so perhaps people aren't bothering to check em out until then? I want to see reviews of these systems badly.

9. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, i decided to sit back and wait for reviews first although form what i see being reported I shouldnot have my hopes high. I will probably have to buy an xps.

I like alienware but I hate 14 inch screens for gaming, I mean what is the point to make a gaming laptop more portable. I know some people use extyernal monitors but still

10. Tr0x

Tr0x Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks like a great screen, specs and hardware. Price is very reasonable too!

But no VGA or minidisplay port? What a let down. I know it's old tech by now, but this will be useless at work for me. Yeah I know it's a consumer device, but still disappointing.