1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Inspiron 11 3000 (11.6" Haswell Celeron Touchscreen)

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by GloStiX, Oct 2, 2013.

1. GloStiX

GloStiX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Didn't see a thread on this but this is supposed to be released tomorrow. Looks like the PERFECT student laptop. Lightweight, Cheap, Super-long battery life, enough power for web + office + youtube, etc.

Intel Celeron 2955U (Haswell)
    2GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    Intel 4400HD Graphics
    11.6" Touchscreen 1366x768 display

$379.99 retail (higher price for more RAM, lower price for AMD CPU)

2. cbautis2

cbautis2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd highly consider this if it had 4 GB RAM. 10 tabs of Chrome with typical extensions and plugins running for 2 - 3 hours + some metro apps/games on the background will bring this laptop to its knees due to that pathetic RAM capacity.

3. human_aft3r_all

human_aft3r_all Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let me know if you find where I can actually buy this. I have been watching for a while, I'd like to upgrade the ram to 4 GB and do an SSD upgrade myself. Would go great with my 17 inch laptop.

4. rese

rese Newbie

Reputations:
    Its currently listed at $399 in Canada with just the Intel with 2gigs of RAM option. There are 3 price points ranging from$399-$449 depending on whether you want it with a mouse or mouse and keyboard...?! No additional RAM or CPU options here so far.

I was interested and intrigued when I first read about this unit a few months ago and thought it would have hit the market by August for back-to-school. The size and touchscreen are attractive but I'm a bit stunned Dell is only offering the unit with 2 gigs of RAM at that price point. That would be fine if this was 2008, but its 2013 and that meager amount or RAM screams netbook, with all the connotations of low performance and utility limitations. I checked the manual online and it appears the unit has 1 DDR3L slot so the RAM can be upgraded at least. I think 4 gigs of ram is the psychological and performance minimum requirement these days, especially when Win8 is marketed as running all kinds of gadgets and multimedia oriented apps - the kinds of things that really need lotsa RAM to run smoothly.

Hoping the product line expands the options on offer in the near future - my 13 inch laptop feels a bit too heavy nowadays.

5. human_aft3r_all

Reputations:
    Well as long as the RAM is upgradable it makes no difference to me. I'll probably pick one of these up.

6. GloStiX

GloStiX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm planning to stick in a 4GB stick.

It's for sale on the Dell Home site and Dell University site as well in the USA. Just search for "inspiron 11 3000" in the search box.

$364.99 for students

7. devildoc17

devildoc17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It doesn't look like this laptop is upgrade friendly by the pictures from the bottom.... you probably have to take the whole thing appart;(

8. human_aft3r_all

Reputations:
    I confirmed that it doesn't void the warranty though.

9. devildoc17

devildoc17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still, i wouldnt wanna risk messing up the laptop lol

On anothe rnote I just ordered mine!

10. Shemmy

Shemmy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    According to ark.intel.com, the Celeron 2995U will support 16GB of RAM (and VT if you want Hyper-V or VMware Workstation!). The notebook only has one memory slot (according to Crucial, FWIW), so you should be able to install an 8GB module.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Tapatalk