1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Inspiron 11 3000 (11.6" Haswell Celeron Touchscreen)

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by GloStiX, Oct 2, 2013.

1. GloStiX

GloStiX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Didn't see a thread on this but this is supposed to be released tomorrow. Looks like the PERFECT student laptop. Lightweight, Cheap, Super-long battery life, enough power for web + office + youtube, etc.

Intel Celeron 2955U (Haswell)
    2GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    Intel 4400HD Graphics
    11.6" Touchscreen 1366x768 display

$379.99 retail (higher price for more RAM, lower price for AMD CPU)

2. cbautis2

cbautis2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd highly consider this if it had 4 GB RAM. 10 tabs of Chrome with typical extensions and plugins running for 2 - 3 hours + some metro apps/games on the background will bring this laptop to its knees due to that pathetic RAM capacity.

3. human_aft3r_all

human_aft3r_all Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let me know if you find where I can actually buy this. I have been watching for a while, I'd like to upgrade the ram to 4 GB and do an SSD upgrade myself. Would go great with my 17 inch laptop.

4. rese

rese Newbie

Reputations:
    Its currently listed at $399 in Canada with just the Intel with 2gigs of RAM option. There are 3 price points ranging from$399-$449 depending on whether you want it with a mouse or mouse and keyboard...?! No additional RAM or CPU options here so far.

I was interested and intrigued when I first read about this unit a few months ago and thought it would have hit the market by August for back-to-school. The size and touchscreen are attractive but I'm a bit stunned Dell is only offering the unit with 2 gigs of RAM at that price point. That would be fine if this was 2008, but its 2013 and that meager amount or RAM screams netbook, with all the connotations of low performance and utility limitations. I checked the manual online and it appears the unit has 1 DDR3L slot so the RAM can be upgraded at least. I think 4 gigs of ram is the psychological and performance minimum requirement these days, especially when Win8 is marketed as running all kinds of gadgets and multimedia oriented apps - the kinds of things that really need lotsa RAM to run smoothly.

Hoping the product line expands the options on offer in the near future - my 13 inch laptop feels a bit too heavy nowadays.

5. human_aft3r_all

Reputations:
    Well as long as the RAM is upgradable it makes no difference to me. I'll probably pick one of these up.

6. GloStiX

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm planning to stick in a 4GB stick.

It's for sale on the Dell Home site and Dell University site as well in the USA. Just search for "inspiron 11 3000" in the search box.

$364.99 for students

7. devildoc17

devildoc17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It doesn't look like this laptop is upgrade friendly by the pictures from the bottom.... you probably have to take the whole thing appart;(

8. human_aft3r_all

Reputations:
    I confirmed that it doesn't void the warranty though.

9. devildoc17

Reputations:
    Still, i wouldnt wanna risk messing up the laptop lol

On anothe rnote I just ordered mine!

10. Shemmy

Shemmy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    According to ark.intel.com, the Celeron 2995U will support 16GB of RAM (and VT if you want Hyper-V or VMware Workstation!). The notebook only has one memory slot (according to Crucial, FWIW), so you should be able to install an 8GB module.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Tapatalk

11. GloStiX

Reputations:
    Ordered one too, coupon code is 1-time use only BTW so we can't use it.

It sucks that I hvae to open it up to replace the RAM, I can't stand how manufax are making their laptops less user-friendly in that way these days, I want to be able to easily replace the battery, etc. In fact, the spec sheet from Dell says this battery has a lifespan of only 300 cycles! That means less than 1 year of daily discharge/charge! talk about planned obsolescence (Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

12. devildoc17

Reputations:
    I just got mine today. I like the finish of the laptop it's nice and smooth.
    I really really wanna like this laptop.

The screen is nice and bright and the touch screen is very responsive. However, it lags when performing even little tasks such as bringing up the control panel.
    It's definitely not made for multitasking as it is.

I tried opening the laptop from the bottom by removing the 5 screws. I started popping the bottom lid very carefully, but I came to a point where the lid won't get loose ( bottom left). Close to where the battery indicator light is.

I even applied some force to pop the lid off but I finally gave up:(
    I don't wanna break my new laptop but it's in serious need of a RAM upgrade to at least 4GB.

If you have better luck than I removing the bottom lid please take some pictures or make a video on utube if really appreciate it.

Like I said I really really wanna like this laptop but as it come configured I have a hard time.
    The ram usage is always hovering around %50 even when I have no tasks open!!! It's really annoying :(

Whoever thought of sticking a measly 2GB RAM on this laptop needs to reconsider. ( Bad idea!!). It constantly hangs up and it's a little annoying to wait for the laptop to catch up and release some memory; even to move the mouse cursor...

13. sman789

sman789 Newbie

Reputations:
    If anyone does sucessfully upgrade the ram please update this thread. I'm ready to buy this machine but 4gb is the bare minimum for me. Hopefully the HDD is accessible as well, I'd like to upgrade that to an SSD. I'm using an S3 Chromebook at the moment but want a new toy. It's either this or the Pixel.

14. GloStiX

Reputations:
    Here's the user manual which has instructions on how to replace RAM: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=TCjT6apZTx-NjV3XVY8gcQ&bvm=bv.53899372,d.dmg

You need to remove battery before you can access RAM apparently. I don't have a RAM stick yet so I haven't done it.

Was pretty slow (unresponsive) out of the box. I removed all the Dell bloatware (McAfee being the main offender) and it's now snappy enough for my office/web use. Battery life estimates from dell are accurate, probably ~8hr.

Quality feels good. Screen not that bright. Caps lock light next to keyboard was a good choice by their design team.

15. devildoc17

Reputations:
    I finally was able to open it up lol. There were 2 extra screws in the middle that were hidden by some plastic covers.

I agree with you It was very slow and unresponsive out the box. Its doing a bit better now but I still feel the lack of RAM hurting its performance.
    You do not need to remove the battery to get to the RAM just move the 7 screws underneath it and pop the lid out. However, upon replacing the RAM card with either a 4 GB 1333 MHZ card it wont boot. It gives me two short beeps. I even tried different brands from my other laptops and same deal. Lastly I resorted to trying on my 4 GB 1866 MHZ RAM that I have on my M18 alienware..... SAME thing!! IDK why its not accepting those ram cards.

I might be forced to buy the exact same brand and speed configuration (1666 mhz) :(

16. devildoc17

Reputations:
    The hard drive is very accessible and easy to replace. I might replace it with an SSD as soon as I confirm it will take 4GB RAM.

17. GloStiX

Reputations:
    devildoc sorry to hear you're having trouble with the RAM, have you called Dell about it? I'm surprised it's that picky.

Another thing I forgot to mention is sound quality is very good for this size/price laptop. I've had many laptops and their speakers are usually horrible, exception being the new Haswell Acer S7, but that's $1700 MSRP so not a fair comparison. The sound clarity and stereo effect (courtesy of a Dell bundled EQ software) is pretty impressive.

18. visualgrey

visualgrey Newbie

Reputations:
    You need to use low voltage RAM for this system. It must support 1.35v. I'll be getting mine later today, and will post if it will accept an 8gb stick.

19. devildoc17

Reputations:
    Please do! I will be following this thread closely:)

If it does work could you please post a link to where you ordered your RAM stick so I don't order the wrong one?

20. visualgrey

visualgrey Newbie

Reputations:
    System confirmed working with one stick of 8gb ram. I used this: Amazon.com: Crucial Single 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Notebook Module, CT102464BF160B: Computers & Accessories, however, any stick of ram that supports 1.35v should work. I have also replaced the 500gb with a samsung ssd. Just an FYI, the original 500gb hdd the system came with is 7mm. The laptop will not support 9mm ssd's, it must be 7mm.

example of 4gb ram that should work: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C9S-4GSL
    another example for 8gb: Patriot Signature Model PSD38G1600L2S Laptop Memory - Newegg.com