New HP DV6628 - odd CPU temp readings (99 degrees C!)

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by island_boy, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. island_boy

island_boy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay, I'll give it a try again this week. Undervolting my Sony was pretty quick, so I'm hoping I can get my HP undervolted somehow. In the meantime, I did purchase a 12 cell battery and battery life is at a whopping 7-8 hours. I love it!

2. island_boy

island_boy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was messing around on my HP last night and set it to the "High Performance" power profile while I surfed the web and watched a few vids on YouTube. In a matter of 30-60 seconds the fan was whirring at high speed and temps were in the 70's to 80's. Stressing a bit by opening Photoshop and a couple of other programs pushed it to 94 degrees C. The bottom of the laptop felt fine and the air coming out was cool/warm. Someone mentioned perhaps reseating the heat sink.. I'm debating whether or not I want to/can tackle that :cool:

Other than that, keeping it on "Balanced" it stays at 47-55 degrees C pretty consistently even if it's on a soft surface like my bed. Nothing seems wrong until I stress it. I'll try the same on my Sony which turns into a furnance; I know it gets hot but I've never stressed it and measured its temp.

Below is a picture of temps while running Photoshop, surfing YouTube, and checking email via Thunderbird. Nothing overly complicated IMO..

[​IMG]

3. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Your gonna need to undervolt that thing to drop down the max temps to 70ish. Give RMclock another go. Make sure you download version 2.30.1 , the latest RMclock has too many advanced settings that its confusing.

If you had the same CPU as me i could give a safe set of voltages for rmclock

4. limleong

limleong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My view is that you have an inherent hardware issue. Surfing the net and watch a few simple video should not stress your machine to the point of reaching 90+ C. I think it is time you send back your machine to HP for warranty service.

5. flipfire

Reputations:
    If your out of warranty then you might aswell change the thermal paste using arctic silver 5 and reseat the heatsink properly.

6. island_boy

island_boy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Argh.. It's only three weeks old. One week past the 14 day return period. All things considered, I like this machine a lot. I agree that something must be wrong for temps to get so high, but if cooling was inefficient, wouldn't it also affect the machine at all speeds, speed stepping or not?

Reading through the HP warranty stories here, I'm hesitant to send my brand new HP in for service. Seems like a lot of people have gotten their machines back scratched or damaged in some other way? I'm going to poke around RMclock and see what it can do.

BTW, flipfire -- I've got a T2310. If you've got the same CPU, what kind of voltages are you using?

7. flipfire

Reputations:
    I have a T7500 which will run on higher voltages than a T2310 so you cant use mine. Theres a thread in the hardware section where people post their undervolting results. This will be a good place to copy some voltages for your processor