New high end notebook or second hand notebook? Or a mid-range notebook? What is cost effective?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jack53, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack53

jack53 Dell XPS L322x Lover!

Reputations:
    ...or to build high end desktops from scratch like this:
    Jack's Custom Desktop Build

2. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd disagree with this.
    Everyone has the skills required to swap out a hhd for a ssd. Everyone has the skills to swap out 2gb of ram for 8gb if its user upgradeable to begin with. Its literally just removing a few screws, popping off the bottom cover or panel, and then from there its no different or harder than plugging in a usb drive. Everyone has the skills, they just don't know it and aren't willing to try.
    Your not going to be replacing the screen unless it arrived broke, and they only other parts that are even remotely considered user upgradeable is the wireless card. Screens are typically stuck at the resolution it came with or below; high res screens and low res screens use different hook ups for most models of laptops so theres no gain in replacing them unless its broken to begin with; they don't really just wear out.

3. jack53

Reputations:
    I agree to a degree...:) Yes most can do it, but many are either too lazy or intimidated to try it. The ones who have more money will simply buy a new one. As for the screen, I replaced mine because I wanted my notebook perfect. My screen had a few smudges that wouldn't come out and one 1/8" white spot that showed up. It wasn't hard at all changing this screen... one tricky spot where I had to make sure I clicked in the display connector just right. Didn't work first time, second time being more diligent, got it.

If you know how to do all this... you end up with a great notebook for a lot less than buying a new one with the same specs. Mine cost me $620 whereas a new one with the same specs cost over $1,500. A no brainer for me! :thumbsup:

4. jack53

Reputations:
    Doesn't sound like a lot of people fix up/upgrade or tinker with notebooks... they mostly buy it used "as-is". To me it is a great way to save money and get the system you really want and make it different from the other notebooks out there. I really think spending $620 is a lot more cost effective than spending $1,800 plus for the same thing new.

5. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

Not necessarily...

Those amongst us who have been doing so for decade or more are just tired of writing about it...:D

I will admit that I've never done any custom painting when it comes to my ThinkPads/FrankenPads, though...

6. jack53

Reputations:
    Well, it seems that Lenovo likes my paint job. I got this in my inbox last night:

Lenovo really loves your Purple ThinkPad
    Hi Jack53,

Your purple thinkpad mod caught the eye of the Lenovo social media team, and they want to ask for permission to use your image for their twitter and facebook account. If you are okay with this, please reply to say yes.

P.S. Your mod is pretty awesome!!!

Regards,

Jin Li

7. ajkula66

Reputations:
    Not surprised one bit.

They are actively looking for stuff like that...and your machine DOES look good.

8. jack53

Reputations:
    A decade or more huh? Well... let's see here, my first notebook in 1985 was a Tandy 600 and I still have it. That is THREE decades! :)

[​IMG]

I also got my first desktop that year.
    [​IMG]

Info on it:
    http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/m600/

9. ajkula66

Reputations:
    LOL.

I've never even touched one of those and I'm more than old enough to have done so.

Back in those dim, dead days I was hand-wiring custom output transformers in order to be able to push 900V into EL34s of a standard Marshall 1959 top...computers were about the last thing on this planet that I was interested in.

But life happens...:hi2:

10. jack53

Reputations:
    Just noticed we're only a couple posts off @ 1,905 & 1,903!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.