New GS63 & GS73VR with GTX1070?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by gbenedetto, Jan 5, 2017.

1. norgei

norgei Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello gbenedetto, your MSI GS63VR that MSI send to you have a GTX 1070 Max Q of course, as the new MSI GS73VR 7RG/RX, isn't this?

Are you sure that MSI will refresh the GS plateform with the GTX 1080 Max Q? The Asus Zephyrus is very attractive, but the fact that it's a 15,6" laptop, no 2,5" emplacement for a HDD, 8GB of RAM soldering on the MB ... I'm not so interested finally :oops:.

If MSI will refresh for sure the GS serie, and make a MSI GS73VR with a GTX 1080 Max Q, and with a 17,3" FHD IPS HDR 120Hz 3ms display with G-Sync (please MSI do it with G-sync :tears:), so I will wait for the next MSI GS73VR 7RG, bye the 15,6" Asus Zephyrus :p.

Yeah, it's a big ******** not to allow G-Sync on the GS display, almost all the other competitor have G-Sync display option for the same kind of laptop (high end gaming laptop)

2. gbenedetto

gbenedetto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So far 1080 max q is exclusive for Asus... Surely next year we will see more devices with the gtx1080 max q.. ASUS rep now is sending me a Zephyrus as well soon I will be able to compare both.. .Iit is nice to now work on the gaming strategy for latinamerica .. I am getting producta for free finally hehe he

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. alphaprime

alphaprime Newbie

Reputations:
  4. norgei

norgei Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lucky you :eek:.

I hope I won't wait so long for the next MSI GS73VR 7RG with GTX 1080 Max Q, and hope too that MSI make the FHD IPS G-Sync 120Hz 3ms HDR display. If it's the next year, waiting will be very long for me :vbfrown:, if it's by the end of the year, it's better for me :vbbiggrin:.

I saw that a few days ago too, why Asus would have the exclusivity for the GTX 1080 Max Q?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  5. ickibar1234

ickibar1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It'll be interesting the GPU temps at full load and power consumption with CPU & GPU full load. 180W AC adapter should be enough with a 7700HQ / 1070 max-Q.

Probably will wait for Coffee Lake. With a bit of luck, more single-core performance and 6 cores in a GS.

6. Delsage

Delsage Newbie

Reputations:
    I talked to Ken from Gentech PC extensively about the MSI gs63vr with the GTX1070 Max-Q. He helped me in my decision to purchase this laptop, and was very helpful in making this important decision. I look forward to seeing how it will perform with my studies and gaming. :D

GenTechPC and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  7. coffeefury

coffeefury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A long wait for nothing, huh?

Both the Raider and Titan are hundreds less ($2500 vs $2300 vs $2100) and have better specs. Is slimness really that much of a premium?

Xotic is showing the previous model way down at $1800 now, are they really charging $700 just for the 1070 upgrade?

8. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Raider isn't that well priced for what it offers. GT72S was much better for the money and had thunderbolt.

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Spoiler: Like an overclocked 1060.

ickibar1234 likes this.
  10. Delsage

Delsage Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I saw the difference between the GL702VS with a GTX 1070 that scored 12733 on Firestrike, and the MSI GS63VR GTX 1070 Max-Q scored a 12003 on the same benchmark. So while yes, there is a difference of 730, that isn't all too far off from the original GPU that is in a thicker and louder chassis. To be honest, what I am hoping to get out of the Max-Q is a quieter design that consumes less power but achieves similar performance. That way I can game without bugging other people in public.

I know that some people might come here posting GTX 1070 scores that will be around 13000 and up, but with the free liquid metal offered on the CPU and GPU I got from GenTech PC, I am hoping that I can get a bit more performance out of the Max-Q design as well. In all honesty, 12003 isn't that bad of a score, and certainly above what an overclocked GTX 1060 could do in such a small laptop.

Asus GL702VS review:

MSI GS63VR GTX 1070 Max-Q review:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017