New GS63 & GS73VR with GTX1070?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by gbenedetto, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Haven't seen any of the 4K ones for sale yet. Do they always release the FHD/lower rez ones first? Seems like all the brands are doing this...

2. norgei

norgei Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Completely of agreement with you :vbthumbsup:, so only Asus had made a Zephyrus in 17,3", I would have bought it because I don't like so much 15.6" laptop (little too small for me, screen and keyboard), and I don't want the MSI GS73VR 7RG because no G-Sync display, simple GTX 1070 Max Q, even not one full laptop GTX 1070 (I know it's impossible in the GS serie), nor one GTX 1080 Max Q, bad decision MSI :no:.

Me too I'm waiting some reviews :radar:, and especially the prices and configurations suggested in France because in America, the Asus Zephyrus GX501 VI with a M.2 SSD of 512GB, Windows 10 Pro, 16GB of RAM, a GTX 1080 Max Q, 15,6" FHD IPS G-Sync 120Hz display ... cost 2600$. I hope we will have the sames prices for the sames configurations in France :vbconfused:.

But it's on that if the Asus Zephyrus GX501 keeps its promises, I'll buy it (probably in September at the lastest), so much worse if it's one 15,6”, first because the Asus Zephyrus GX501 have a GTX 1080 Max more of a full laptop GTX 1070, it have a FHD IPS G-Sync 120Hz display, I like much the keyboard on the bottom, I love the trackpad to the right of the keyboard who transforms himself immediately into numeric keypad while pressing on a simple key and two true left/right click keys. I like also the color (all black with a little orange), the materials (all metal, alloy of aluminium and magnesium), the USB 3.1 type C, the 4 USB 3.1 type A, Windows 10 Pro ... The cooling system looks me rather effective and clever also with all the upper part with the top of the keyboard and the lower part which opens. It's a pity that the screen isn't HDR, but that's not very serious, if it had been it, that would have been perfect.

Why people want a UHD display on a laptop, it's useless, especially in games :nah:.

None GPU can assume such a very high definition to play games in UHD with all the maximum graphics settings, also with a desktop pc with a GTX 1080ti, it's impossible actually, (moreover, UHD is limited to 60Hz)

Satisfy with a screen simply FHD, in 15.6”, it's already excellent, that will hurt less the GPU, that will less make it also heat …and a FHD display will less expensive than a UHD display.

EDIT :

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    steberg likes this.
  3. gbenedetto

gbenedetto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Asus I saw it in E3 this year... Is just beautiful... I would go for him if you asked me... But since msi is sending me for free the gs63vr gtx1070... I can t say no...
    Msi surely will refresh the platform in 6 months to launch something more innovative for a 1080 max q....

I will sell my actual gs63vr and save some money for the next refresh... (I live in Chile so I can sell it easily for 1.5K)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My main hesitation on the Zephyrus is having the keyboard at the front of the laptop vs. the back. I'd have to try it to see how I like it. At least for me, it's off-putting a bit initially.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    My bad, I must have been DUI at that time. :)

6. ranjim

ranjim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Kevin@GenTechPC hi. Saw the review for the new gs73vr and checked the product page. Is the g-sync feature a typo or is it really in the new 120hz models? And are they the same Chi Mei ones on thr gt73vr? Thanks!

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Which submodel # are you asking? I will verify it for you, thanks. :)

8. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably talking about this one:

In the video for this model Optimus is enabled thus disabling G-Sync. Is there a way to disable iGPU and only allow dGPU in the BIOS so that G-Sync could be enabled for the Chi Mei screen ? (Which is the same as the one used in the GT73VR 7RF and other MSI laptops)
    Or MSI throwed away G-Sync for Optimus ? (More battery life instead of smoother gameplay)

GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    It has no G-Sync, and it's a Chimei CMN1747 120Hz 5mn, shown at review: 4:04.

GenTechPC likes this.
  10. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WoW, throwing away G-Sync for Optimus and not making it switchable in the BIOS ? I don't know what the MSI Engineers were smoking when they came up with this, but it is some heavy stuff !

Panel and VGA supports G-Sync, but that Intel GPU is saying "F*ck you, I'm in charge so no G-Sync for you!" ;)

alphaprime and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.