New GS63 & GS73VR with GTX1070?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by gbenedetto, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Womb Raider

Womb Raider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know when these suckers come out?

I'm choosing this one, because my other choice, aorus x7 v7, reports way too much power consumption for my liking.

Stealth is thinner. Aorus has more resolution and g-sync, but some of the biggest power consumption ratings out there. Aorus' power consumption ratings are ridiculously higher than other laptops with 1070s.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    July. You might also want to add this Clevo to your consideration:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-pa70hs-g.805708/

They will probably all be out by this time next month (including the Aorus). The GS73VR is thinner yes, but it will be gimped by Max-Q and lack of G-sync.

3. Womb Raider

Womb Raider Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!

I prefer Max-Q, I don't read anywhere about the drop in performance, except on this website. I also prefer less power consumption.

The audio jack for the clevo is specified at ch 5.1. Is this an issue, as other laptops advertise ESS Sabre hi-fi 7.1 and such. I've read reviews about great sound details from the ESS Sabre hi-fi, but am not too knowledgeable on that. My research comes from claims that the clevo has a sound card while msi doesn't.

Why I chose msi over clevo before, is because they advertise 120hz. Doing the math, that is about a frame every 8.3 ms to fulfill 120 frames per second. Clevo records a response time of 12ms which is good for around 80 frames per second. I would hope these panels are better. And I am starting to think I want g-sync?

Thanks again. Now I want Gs73vr, or pa70hs-g.

I am not a big fan of clevo's sharp corners everywhere or their aesthetics. But it will have g-sync. But I am leaning towards that sexy stealth with less power consuming gpu even if it performs a bit less. Still gotta research and be sure though, I'm trying to commit to one of these puppies.

hmscott likes this.
  4. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Womb Raider

FWIW, the Max-Q will have lower performance than it's non-Max-Q counterpart. We already have benchmark results of a GTX1080 Max-Q that runs just a tiny bit better than a notebook GTX 1070.

I'm not telling you not to get the GS73VR -- we all have our personal limits on the $-to-performance curve. But I just don't want you to go in to your purchase assuming that a GTX1070 Max-Q will perform like a normal 1070 just with less power consumption, because it won't.

hmscott and ThePerfectStorm like this.
  5. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Max-Q models seem to have about 20 - 25% less performance due to slower core/boost speeds and lower TDP, 120 vs. 80 - 90 W.

6. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is sound advice. @hmscott and @Papusan will also agree, I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hmscott and CedricFP like this.
  7. David Pinheiro

David Pinheiro Newbie

Reputations:
    I think these msi gs got everything somone whos looking for a portable but still capable laptop might want. I've been wanting a laptop similar to this but the only reason I didn't buy it yet is because there are some aspects of them that I dont really like. For me their only downsides to are:
    • The lack of g sync (they should make it like clevo in a wat you could both enable or disable it. You could then use optimus while at school/college/work where you simply want battery life and then use g sync for gaming while probably charging your device. Common g sync makes a big difference and this is a gamming laptop)
    • The mediocre battery life (make it have 2 m.2 slots and get rid of that 2'5 bay and make a bigger battery taking up that space. Or at least make it an option, if you want lots of mass storage get a laptop replacement or a desktop or external hard drive, it is not what the gs is supposed to be)
    • The gamerish look. I want it to be classy and fancy, not having dragons on it lol. Or at least make another design for it I think

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Titan series already has that.

9. David Pinheiro

David Pinheiro Newbie

Reputations:
    Titan series is not portable at all

10. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree with the first two points (the gamerish look doesn't bother me). Sadly though I think it has something to do with costs and the fact that MSI believes it can't sell at that price range, although I'd be willing to pay top dollar for a slim and portable laptop that has all that (excluding Razer products).