new Gigabyte P35K

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by [-Mac-], Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardboardhome

cardboardhome Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking to purchase this laptop for college. I'm going to be an incoming freshman going into computer science and was wondering what I should know about this laptop before I buy it. I'd read more into it, but unfortunately this thread is 173 pages long and I don't have that much time so I'd really appreciate it if someone knowledgable on the topic could help me out. Does it get too hot? Is the build quality good? How's the keyboard, speakers, performance, battery life, etc? Any and all help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How have your machines stood up to the test of time? Is the chassis holding up?

Sent from my g3

3. yung_dt

yung_dt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CS major here. I posted a short review of my purchase experience here in page 171. The kernel doesn't recognize the elantech touchpad when cold booting into Linux; for some strange reason you have to first boot Windows, then reboot into Linux. Gigabyte support won't help me for Linux issues. I had to mess with ALSA configs to get onboard speakers working, but it works now.
    I installed Arch Linux and haven't tried installing more common distros like Ubuntu, so the experience may be different.

Running Windows on this machine is flawless. My machine does reach 90s when using full resources and the exhaust area gets hot. When idle, it's really quiet and only feels warm. The build quality is good. The speakers are average for laptops, not great. The tweaking settings in the Dolby application that comes in Windows 8 will make the sound a lot louder and clearer. Unfortunately, it doesn't support Windows 7. The keyboard is all right, although this machine seems to attract a lot of finger oil compared to my previous machines from Lenovo and Dell..

I can easily get 3-4 hours of battery life on both Windows and Linux when consuming moderate system resources like running a bunch of programs, web browsing, etc. I can get up to 5 hours if I'm mainly using text editors and browsers. The battery life has been great for college use.

I think this laptop is great for college students, Gigabyte didn't mess up on performance and build quality. Excellent gaming and overall performance. Running Linux has a minor touchpad issue, but that's only mildly annoying (also, who needs mice in CLI?:p). There aren't that many laptops that's thin and can handle heavy gaming.

4. ZugZug

ZugZug Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    P35G here but I noticed ELAN touchpad being off in Windows 8 after cold boot. I tracked it down to hybrid shutdown. If I turn it off in Windows (Google for turning off hybrid shutdown using bcdedit) then on all subsequent boots touchpad is working. It's possible your bootup to Windows and then shutting down messes it for Linux.

5. yung_dt

yung_dt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I was on Windows 8.1, I never had issues with ELAN on Windows. I also disabled hybrid boot when installing Linux (and Windows 7 doesn't have hybrid boot feature). I tried hitting the touhcpad on/off button on the F keys, but it didn't do anything for me (in Linux).

Anyways thanks for the suggestion! I might mess around with boot settings when I reinstall Windows 8, but right now I don't have the time to reconfigure everything from scratch..

I'm not sure if this matters but the trackpad issue in Linux happens with both BIOS and EFI mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.