new Gigabyte P35K

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by [-Mac-], Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winrarh

Winrarh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Chassis isn't bending or cracking. Keyboard has minimal flex. Under idle the fan stays off most of the time. The fan comes on sometimes when there are multiple tabs open. It's audible but quiet enough for say a library environment.

J D A likes this.
  2. blindm0nkey515

blindm0nkey515 Newbie

Reputations:
    shoot, i found this video on youtube
    Gigabyte P35K Fan Noise - YouTube

Hopefully, this one is just defective model right...? If it's this loud, I gonna have to return my already shipped computer.

3. J D A

J D A Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I thought it couldn't get any louder at 10:34. I was wrong.

So if this is how it is when it's not even really being used, that's crazy. The fans revved up when the guy just opened his browser... I can't stop thinking about that video and this would be just one of the 3 small issues holding me back from buying it right now.

If blindm0nkey515 or another owner can, could they confirm that that's how loud the fans are under idle usage? Even if the GPU is off since I know it has Optimus. I know the i7 isn't exactly the coolest when idle but still that's crazy.

4. pfiffkaas

pfiffkaas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    soo tried my best to get some numbers for you ;) i tested the sound intensity in three situations:

- Chrome, with 3 tabs open
    - chrome with youtube video running in fullscreen
    - cpu stresstest with prime95

here are the pictures i took with my mobile phone! they are in the same order, as i listed the situations above! hope this helps you! cheers

Chrome, with 3 tabs open

hrome with youtube video running in fullscreen

cpu stresstest with prime95

PS: while i'm posting this, the fans are off the whole time ;)
    PPS: the spike in the last picture is the sound from taking a photo with my nexus 4

Attached Files:

J D A likes this.
  5. jhstjh

jhstjh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I don't think my P35K's noise goes that crazy. The power option for high performance will disable the SpeedStep and CPU will be always on turbo mode. If you set the laptop's and the Intel GPU's power options to balanced, the noise will reduce greatly and totally bearable if you're just doing web browsing or watching videos (not helping a lot during gaming, the noise is crazy indeed, but temperature goes down like 5 C).

And I just took my P35K through a 17-hour flight and the chassis survived.:D

J D A likes this.
  6. blindm0nkey515

blindm0nkey515 Newbie

Reputations:
    Man, I sure hope mine comes crispy clean like a new born baby with healthy limbs and organs.

J D A likes this.
  7. J D A

J D A Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the information! I guess the video had the noise isue because of what jhstjh said.

I ALWAYS run my PC's in high performance mode. Then again I'm coming from a 2010/11 netbook and a 2007 Sony Vaio VGN-N320E.

Also, what is the bar across the top? Apparently they aren't speakers, so I'm guessing that they're passive air vents?

And because the speakers are on the bottom, it'll only really be "loud" when it's on a solid table right? My Vaio's speakers are on the bottom, which is aggravating. And the sound isn't really "tinny" though either right?

8. volati1e

volati1e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for your post. I wish the search feature actually worked on this forum so people wouldn't have to manually go through 50 pages to find information. I just put in a SSD and did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and was going crazy because I couldn't get into BIOS to change the boot order. Turns out it was fast startup. Some helpful things for you guys doing a clean install of Windows 8.1:

1. Either disable fast startup like Retroceded mentions above, or do a restart of Windows 8 to be able to access the BIOS (restart bypasses fast startup). Do NOT do a shutdown. If you just shutdown, it will do the fast startup next time you boot and you won't get the option to go into the BIOS.
    2. Windows 8.1 by default enables adaptive brightness which annoyingly made my screen really dim, and setting it to 100% brightness wouldn't fix it. Go to Power Options>Change plan settings>Change advanced power settings. Scroll down and select Display. There you can choose to set enable adaptive brightness to Off. Alternatively, I think setting the Brightness to Manual in the Gigabyte Smart Manager does the same thing. But I installed the Smart Manager after I changed this setting, so I'm not 100% sure.
      hoz6.png
    3. Windows 8.1 makes fonts blurry in certain programs like Chrome, due to DPI scaling. Go to the properties of the program that is affected and then go to the Compatibility tab. Put a check in the box that says Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
      qgrz.png
    4. When doing a clean install of 8.1, you do not need to download or install Gigabyte's outdated Nvidia driver (It is worthless and you won't be able to play newer games like BF4 because they just crash to desktop). But you will have to install the Intel video driver and restart before you can install Nvidia's updated 765m video driver. As of this posting, I am using the beta 331.93 driver.
    5. Smart Manager V3 is not listed on Gigabyte's website when you go look for Windows 8.1 drivers. Installing the Windows 8.0 version 3.3.0 seems to work okay. Or you can use Smart Update to download 3.3.8.

9. Retroceded

Retroceded Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for mentioning me.

For number 4 on your list ;
    I only mentioned to do this due to the fact that when I updated my GPU drivers directly from nvidia I was getting random restarts, hdmi out problems etc... Thought I may save a few people from the trouble of dealing with driver issues.

Good to know it's working flawlessly now.

10. volati1e

volati1e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Retroceded,

I think you did an install of 8.1 over Windows 8 right? So that's why I assumed you needed the Gigabyte driver first. I did an install of 8.1 from a DVD over a blank hard drive, so I bypassed Gigabyte's driver entirely.

Also, it could be slightly different since you have the P25W and I have the P35K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.