new Gigabyte P35K

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by [-Mac-], Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retroceded

Retroceded Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 is amazing,
    I would get used to it or buy WinStart8.

You cannot control the fans from smartManager.
    You only can control the Frequency which the CPU will run on.
    The lower the frequency the slower the Fan needs to run, but the slower your performance will be.

The smart Manager button on the laptop just brings that menu up on your screen.

Also it would be nice to have some idle and load temps
    WhiteBoy:wink:

2. windofsoccer

windofsoccer Newbie

Reputations:
    so can anyone help?

3. tolk

tolk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone answer this?

4. GeorgiE

GeorgiE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should update drivers/apps or anything else because usually that's the main reason for which the updates are made in the first place: to resolve problems..but as nothing is perfect..they might resolve some of the existing problems and generate anothers..that's why updates exist and they are made all the time..trying to resolve the existing problems and optimize things as much as possible.

5. severous

severous Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For those who have it, do you like the quality build?
    The design feel like premium quality?
    Would you recommend this laptop for mobile and business use?

I need a mobile laptop with hight spec (to see movie, work, and sometimes play) in order to substitute partially at my home computer (in trip for exemple)

6. Dinemec

Dinemec Newbie

Reputations:
    Was just wondering if anyone who has a P35K also have rMBP(w/ dGPU)? I'm really stuck on the two, and need one ASAP. I'm a college student, so portability is number one. Also, I sometimes play games (BF4 being the most demanding), but usually its just for like an hour once a week. Can anyone give me some opinions about both? Please don't be bias about Mac Vs Pc, and price isn't a problem.

Thanks.

7. zipykido

zipykido Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which rMBP are you looking at in particular? You'd have to get the 15" macbook which comes with a 750m. You won't be able to run at retina resolutions but you should be able to squeeze out enough performance to play at at least medium at 1280x800 (most likely high will run fluidly). The MBP is 3 mm thinner than the p35k and you'd probably get better tech support. You'd be losing out on having 2 msata drives and 1 HDD/SDD bay and one ODD bay though. I think the MBP looks much better but it isn't built to be a gaming machine like the p35k is. If you only need portability and will to sacrifice screen resolution for performance when gaming then go with the MBP.

8. hdi67

hdi67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what's the final verdict for the thunderbolt port? Can the rubber stopper be removed? Is there an actual thunderbolt controller on the motherboard? Is it available on all p35k configs?

I'm getting really sick of these manufacturers being so vague about thunderbolt. First Asus says the g46vw has it, then never releases one with it (and their promo page STILL advertises thunderbolt!)
    Then gigabyte goes as far as too put the port on the final product but puts a freaking rubber stopper on it... Like what the heck man?! And why is there no option for it on the p34g?! Ugh

Also what's the deal with the bendy build quality problem? Fixed?
    Also, does anyone have battery life numbers?

9. Plexabit

Plexabit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 750m in the MBP is nice for most games, but it'll have a tough time running BF4 even on low settings (or so I've heard--however it is the GDDR5 version so you'll still probably be able to run it). 765m will fare much better, but don't expect maxed out settings with 60 FPS. Someone posted a video of BF4 on the P35k on this thread somewhere. As for the processor, the base Nvidia MBP has a 2.3Ghz quad i7--either the i7-3615QM (Worse than the P35K) or the i7-4850HQ (Which would be better). EDIT: It's the 4850HQ. So technically better. The upgrade is more than a bit better I think. I can't tell and can't find solid info on this. Either way, they'll perform similarly in the processor area. The biggest difference is going to be the around 50% decrease in graphics performance for a 1.5-to-twofold increase in build quality, an SSD, and all the other little things in life to make it better (IMO--also nearly double the price of an already expensive laptop, but you said price doesn't matter). Basically you get what you pay for in terms of design, customer support, and durability.

For the rest of you, pretend that I got the P35K and I love it tons. I'm one of those weird teenagers that respects his parent's wisdom in telling me not to buy a $1.5k laptop. :p I'm pretty much looking at the N550JV now. Too bad it doesn't have the GDDR5 750m. (Or does it?)

10. freakjim

freakjim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is no mention of a Thunderbolt port on Gigabyte's product page. Also I thought I remeber someone reporting from Gigabyte stating that Thunderbolt support was dropped.

I feel is really cheapens the device by simply plugging the port and not even bothering to remove the Thunderbolt logo next to the plugged port. Additionally it seems a bit deceptive this flaw is not represented in the product's images/renders on Gigabyte's or retailer's websites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.