new Gigabyte P35K

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by [-Mac-], Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zipykido

zipykido Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yay! Order is shipped. Hopefully I'll get this laptop by Monday or Tuesday. I got the intel AC 7260 and 2 128gig msatas so I'll post the benchmarks using those as soon as it arrives. Anything in particular that you guys would want me to test? I don't have BF4 but I can definitely test temperatures using any other game. I probably won't do an unboxing video.

EDIT: It won't arrive until Thursday unfortunately, so another week to wait.

2. eville

eville Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That thickness though.. its more than double the p35k (21 vs 55mm)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. denshaSai

denshaSai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah msi is too thick, you might as well get the gigabyte p25W (~35mm)

4. IWTT

IWTT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Generally no. If it's anodized or electroplated, those should stay on pretty well unless the AL substrate actually gets deformed (like those bent laptops, you're able to see the AL underneath). If it's E-coated, UV will degrade it over time and it may chip, but from the pictures, it doesn't seem like it's E-coated.

If they used powdered or wet coat, those are usually thrown in the oven so there's actual chemical bonds between the paint and AL.

Did some of the paint chip off somewhere?

Were you holding it in the corner with the lid down or up? The lid looks like full AL so that should be pretty sturdy.

5. O15

O15 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had my eye on the P35K and this thread for some time now. Finally decided to make an account and actually post.

A bit disappointed with the (eventual) launch of the P35K. Delay after delay and then the bending issue. It doesn't give potential customers a great deal of confidence.

I was planning on getting one for myself and then, if I liked it, getting another for my dad. However my Dad is on a plane twice a week and it seems very unlikely that the P35K would last very long, with frequent travel. At least not without a very sturdy case.

I'm still interested in one for myself as I don't have to travel for work, though.

Not to derail the thread, but what are some good alternatives to the P35K? I'd like something reasonably thin & light, 1600x900 - 1920x1080 screen, good battery (5+ hours light work), decent sized SSD + HDD combo, 13"-15". Don't care if it has an optical drive or not and I also don't care if it has dedicated GPU or not (but I do want a decent CPU).
    I know about the Blade 14" (honestly, I'm temped to just grab one of these with a 512GB SSD, but this would be a VERY costly option), GE40 and P34G.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

6. tolk

tolk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking at the Lenovo U series (U430) and some of the acer models (V7, V5) that have recently had haswell refresh.

7. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have a look at the P25W

Bit thicker & heavier - but faster GPU and cools well.

8. O15

O15 Newbie

Reputations:
    The U430 looks pretty decent. Shame it only has one USB 3 port, though. I'd have to have minimum 2 USB 3. Even if it meant no USB 2.

Also I'm just going to put it out there, orange Lenovo Yogo 13 is the most gorgeous laptop I've ever seen. USB is pretty disappointing, though (1x2.0 & 1x3.0), seems to be a trend with Lenovo laptops.

Going to have to have a look through Lenovo's current offerings. The T440 looks nice, too.

9. tolk

tolk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was going to go lenovo, but I want the IPS Full HD screen. The lenovo models are mostly not (currently, though some have it listed as an option in uk) available with Full HD and/or IPS. I actually prefer the looks of the P35K also, but thats not a major concern.

I'm still tempted by the P35k, most owners (bar BlkKnight) have responded that they are pretty happy with the machine and that it is robust enough.

@WhiteBoySHady - how good/bad is the fan noise when not gaming (i.e. surfing, watching videos etc.)? Most gaming laptops make a reasonable amount of noise when under full load.

10. BlkKnight

BlkKnight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GenTech have also gone very quiet.

They (like me) said the machine needed re-inforcing.

They've not said anything since - nor have they re-shot the "stress video" - but have hinted they would not be happy to do so :)

As long as you are aware of the P35K's shortcomings and avoid stressing it too much I'm sure you'll be fine.

Me being a bit of a oaf would not want to worry about such issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.