NEW Gigabyte P34 V2

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by IKAS V, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XisLoose

XisLoose Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I had a lot of problems with the wake bug in Win 8.1 and after upgrading to Win 10 and updating the drivers things seems to work a lot better.
    I don't know about the Cortana issue since I disabled it completely.

Kleiny likes this.
  2. Comp625

Comp625 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Happy Thanksgiving! Would you be able to share what program handles this? I found this yesterday but it doesn't seem like a "clean" approach?

http://superuser.com/questions/236815/how-to-prevent-hard-drive-from-spinning-down-windows-7

Also, I think my stuttering is due to heat dissipation/throttling. It seems that when I hit certain temperatures, it stutters for a moment as it throttles back. If I "lift" my laptop to provide better air flow, it minimizes these stutters. If I don't "lift" it, I eventually hit a point where the entire laptop powers off.

I'm not 100% sure though. I'll keep observing.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  3. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can give this a whirl http://keepalivehd.codeplex.com/

WD actually made an official program that accesses settings in the firmware, but they discontinued it. I think it's called widdledisk or something.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comp625 likes this.
  4. Comp625

Reputations:
    Awesome, I'll give that a shot. My v2's mechanical hard drive is made by Maxtor, according to Crystal Info. Am I right to assume this program will work with all hard drive brands?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

5. vinny3

Reputations:
    Not sure. Only one way to find out My solution to this age old problem is I replaced my HDD with an SSD. If you look around you can find some 1TB SSDs for $200.

Comp625 likes this.
  6. Comp625

Reputations:
    Ha! ;)

I was mistaken, my SSD is a Plextor and my HDD is an HGST. Is that what everyone else has?

I'm a bit taken back because Crystal Disk Info says the Plextor has about 384 hours on it, whereas the HGST has 3,656 hours on it. I know my notebook came in as a refurb from XoticPC (purchased through Amazon's Warehouse Deals as an open-box which saved nearly $500 at the time) so I wonder if the original owner's SSD had prematurely died...

7. dave1986

dave1986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

My fans stopped working. This happened after I took my laptop apart to fix something and disconnected and reconnected the fans. When I noticed they weren't working I took the laptop apart again and noticed I didn't connect the fan on the right (below the mSATA slot) properly, so I plugged it in right this time, but the fans are still not working.

Does anyone have a clue why they still won't turn on? I disconnected (and reconnected) some other cables- could this be it?

And does anyone know if they sell these anywhere? I couldn't find anything.

This is the one on the left:

[​IMG]

And the one on the right:

[​IMG]

8. dave1986

Reputations:
    Ok the fans are working again. I just blew at one of them and they started working. But they will sometimes stop spinning and turn again after a while. Is that normal? I don't know if this was always happening.

Also did anyone update their SmartManager? did you notice there are new fan controls? There are now three options: Eco, Normal, and Turbo. And none of them seem to work- when my fans stop spinning, no matter what I choose they will not spin.

I'm not sure if it's the software update or something else. I suspect it may be the fact that I disconnected the CMOS battery which apparently resets the bios. I checked the bios but couldn't find any fan-related options.

Can anyone help?

Update 1: Oh and also I can't seem to get any readings from my fans (e.g., RPM rate)- not on the new Smart Manager dashboard and not on SpeedFan.

Update 2: Did a fresh install (reset laptop to Gigabyte's factory settings) so I got to use the old Smart Manager, and the fans were working fine when I used the fan controls. But then I updated to the latest version of Smart Manager and the fan controls are not working again. So I guess the new version is at fault.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  9. dave1986

Reputations:
    Hi again,

Sorry for the triple post :rolleyes: Can anyone please advise- I got a new mSATA SSD (500GB) today. I want to replace the original mSATA SSD (LiteOn 128GB) with it to use as my new boot drive.

I googled for some guides but couldn't find one that matches this situation. Did anyone do this and can refer me to something useful? Will I need special equipment (adapters and such) or is it just a matter of using cloning/migration software?

Thanks.

10. vinny3

Reputations:
    I can confirm that the new smart manager update does break the fan curve control. They must know this because they made it possible to revert back to the previous version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.