New Generation Intel CPU's 'Tiger Lake' Processors

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, Jan 7, 2020.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @Deks, what specs am I doubling to others vs. whom else? Give me a link if you want an answer.

The rest of your post shows how little you're paying attention to the posts above yours.

And splitting up the quote to belittle a different definition of 'raw' is not doing you any favors for whatever argument you may have.

My 'usage' is not 'X' or 'Y' or 'X and Y'. My usage is the sum of touching my devices from the first minute of each day to the last minute I interact with them and it's time to go home. The total package. The whole enchilada. The entire process from start to finish each day, each week, each month, and repeated endlessly each year. That is my benchmark.

What you seem to be missing is that 4C/8T (or the Intel versions of higher core count platforms) is still the standard of many, many workflows. Including mine for a variety of sub-flows.

What you need to understand is not just that MS Office is faster. MS Office is faster than on an otherwise more beefed up platform. Nuances matter. Even if you don't concede or 'feel' them in your workflows.

There is no brute force used here by Intel. Education is worth what the learner puts into it. (Synthetic) benchmarks are not the answer to who 'wins' in tech. Actual workflows being completed faster, are.

2. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Intel confirms Tiger-Lake H is with up to coming 8 cores. I guess this shouldn't surprise anyone that Tiger Lake-H was going to happen, but good to know it's confirmed either way.
    There also seem to be 35w and 45w designs, with the former focusing more on the iGPU (but tops out at 4 cores) than the latter.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This too.
    A lot of software out there is developed with Intel in mind (and NV Cuda), not AMD and its open source features.
    Recent pushes have been seen to optimize some software for Ryzen (or more to the point, multi-core performance in case of Adobe - and Adobe has been including LIMITED support at best - they still hadn't included Vega igp's into support despite the fact its FAR more powerful than all Intel iGP's presently available on the market)..

So, Intel still has a bit of an 'advantage' because of coding being in their favor... but the fact AMD plainly OUTSHINES Intel in both IPC and multicore performance speaks volumes. Imagine if software is fully optimized to make use of Ryzen uArch and AMD gpu's?
    AMD had massive compute performance at its disposal in GCN uArch (Polaris and Vega) that went largely unused in games for example and even some professional software because devs were mostly paid by Nvidia to make use of CUDA (which intricately speaking has 0 advantage compared to OpenCL which can run across all hw and performance of which can be further optimized through drivers)... and we've seen just how fast Navi GPU's are when games and software are properly optimized for them as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    Ed. Yang likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, it will thighten the pressure on AMD. Not so sure AMD is ready for more cores for 35w and 45w notebook designs.

5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    OUTSHINES is a little over the top, but yeah, nobody is doubting the hardware was more powerful than what Intel had 3 years ago. Getting work done is rarely about using the 'best' for a single metric (hardware), rather, the 'best' overall.

I can't (just) imagine software fully optimized for use with Ryzen uArch... I need it implemented and available yesterday for it to be worth talking about.

See:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-makes-it-official-eight-core-tiger-lake-chips-coming

Still waiting for a balanced review of Tiger Lake (7-28W) chips, but these upcoming Tiger Lake 45W/65W chips aren't being introduced arbitrarily by Intel either. Can't wait to see a proper workstation review of both AMD and Intel facing off with their respective best.

6. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    isn't the current high performance H-class CPUs are 45w makes?

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, with Configurable TDP-up to 65 W at least for intel's BGA H-class Top dog.

8. cfe

cfe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Speaking of the current BGA H-class Top Dog...:eek: it looks like demand exceeded supply on 10875H :oops: :eek: just like the 10900K, and Intel ran out so quietly released 10870H with -100Mhz base clock as a stopgap :eek:

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Intel have finally added in Recommended Customer Price.
    upload_2020-9-16_1-47-11.png

They milk (bin) the silicon for every drop nowadays. Bin it as low tier i7-10750H won't please the shareholders. And many of the notebook buyers out there won't see the performance difference anyway:D As long its labeled with the i7 tag, all will happily buy it.

"Compared to the 10875H, the 10870H offers a 100 MHz lower base clock. This does not sound like a huge difference, but it might be something worth considering as many enthusiasts are often encouraged to disable Intel Turbo. This is due to the fact that turbo does not provide significant performance improvement, but it comes at the cost of much higher temperatures".

Encouraged to disable Intel Turbo? Nope, rather forced due awful/terrible and cheaply engineered cooling!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:17 PM
    Starlight5, tilleroftheearth and cfe like this.
  10. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I'm not wrong, the Klockable CPUs are the "K"-class for Intel, while Ryzen CPUs are mostly "locked" until the intrusion of external software?