New Generation Intel CPU's 'Tiger Lake' Processors

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Intel Introduces 'Tiger Lake' Processors

Intel Teases Tiger Lake And Demos DG1 Dedicated Graphics Card In Action

0lok, tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth and hmscott like this.
  3. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
  5. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
  6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I especially like how Intel's recent marketing in desktops is desperately trying to diminish the relevance of synthetic workloads (that they lose at horribly to Ryzen such as Cinebench) in favour of "real world performance" ... and then use entirely synthetic benchmark numbers to support their peak marketing claims of performance benefit with their own CPUs ;)

hmscott, jc_denton and Dr. AMK like this.
  7. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    I especially liked the one slide where they have an asterisk about performance tested without security patches
    [​IMG]

Dr. AMK, hmscott and bennyg like this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I get why nobody wants to look like Intel's friend right now. But this isn't a popularity contest and hopefully, most of us are not giddy school girls either. I buy tools with my $$$$$$$$, not try to make/impress friends.

I'll reserve judgment until we get new hardware to play with. But I am liking the new direction Intel has been heading for the last while (a few years, actually).

These new mobile solutions are looking great right now. From both sides. Let's see the reviews already!

Intel's offers are still more compelling to me. Maybe just because they are still so far ahead of what AMD's best can do right now.

While AMD may be catching up performance-wise after all this time (mobile), what they don't have is the vision that Intel has to actually do anything new and different that Intel seems to be able to pull off as required.

They're still piggybacking on Intel's coattails, IMO. They may even surpass Intel, performance-wise. But productivity (a car race, winning a war, or getting to space) isn't about the one who has the most (expensive/powerful) hardware. It is about the one that has the clarity of vision to get to the goal line with what they do have.

Computers have always been mere tools to me ever since I passed puberty with productivity as my goal.

Raw performance (synthetics) is always trumped by real-world productivity. The platform as a whole matter here. Not merely the NOS that some systems can breathe impressively.

For the weakminded here, I'll repeat it robotically for them: yeah, a few very specific workloads can and will take advantage of the multicore advantage that AMD offers. For the rest of the world, Intel's solutions are now not only more relevant, but they're also cheaper too. ;)

With the shenanigans that AMD has been pulling lately, I can't see me giving them any purchases or 'moral' support. Even if I can thank them for the riches that Intel has begun to offer us too. :)

Dr. AMK likes this.
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    CB has always been AMD’s trump card since the very first Zen reveals, and SMT is a bigger perf improvement than HT, but Intel “losing horribly” to Ryzen on comparable core/thread count CPUs in CB is news to me.

tilleroftheearth and Dr. AMK like this.
  10. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tigerlake looks pretty good. The Xe GPU seems to be a significant perf/area gain over the Gen 11 despite being on the same process. 20-30% larger GPU(my estimates) that pack 50% more EUs but performing better than that while at the same TDP.

My guess is based on their earlier claims, the biggest gains will be seen in the fanless -Y space. I expect it'll be a start to move -Y and fanless to mainstream just as Haswell moved 35W down to 15W.

The comparison is against 9750H, which is a 6 core part. It's still an impressive 46% gain, beating the theoretical 33% core count difference. A combination of clocks, perf/clock and better SMT scaling advantage. Intel needed to move to 10nm cores 2 years ago.