New Gaming/Sometimes working computer

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bicem, Dec 30, 2020.

1. bicem

bicem Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? <$1300

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen Yes
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen Yes
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen - maybe if it can be light, < 5.5lbs
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Asus, Dell, Lenovo have treated me well (no major issues)
    b. Dislike: Had a bad experience with Clevo (MB died just outside 1 year warranty, ended up being to expensive to repair)
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? yes, with warranty

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Mostly games (recently cyberpunk, battlefield, outer worlds, Battletech, Warzone), occasionally work excel, powerpoint, word, browsing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly at my desk, but I do travel a couple times a year and like to take with me and prefer to travel on the lighter side (around 5 lbs is fine)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) yes, recently cyberpunk, battlefield, outer worlds, Battletech, Warzone

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Around 2 hours will be fine

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? i'm ok not seeing, especially now that we can't touch anyway

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows,

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080P at least, but almost everything meets that.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I prefer matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, but most newer laptops seem to be fine.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? At least 500gb SSD, need to have an expansion space for another 1Tb drive for extra space.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Buying now if I can find something, or I can wait a month or two.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? My current one I've had for three years now, Dell 7577. I will probably keep this one the same length at least.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? A few weeks.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? no

I would prefer to have something in the 2070 MQ graphics range, can go down to 2060 if it's a 14 inch though. I figure none of the 30xx models will be widely available for a while. For the models I was looking at below. I really like the size of the Asus, the performance of the Gigabyte (size is nice too), and the performance and features of the Dell, although I've read a bit that these may overheat(?). What do y'all think of these, what other options are there? Thanks for the help.

I was looking at a few models, not sure if these will get better priced in the next month or two:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...ae44a6e11eba1508641be08cf160INT&skuId=6403816

https://www.adorama.com/giaorus15pw...x0Mo36nUkEyUfw1TWk5y40&utm_source=rflaid62905

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g...c584a6f11eb83d49ae98ab22c260INT&skuId=6419696

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome. You're correct that the RTX 3000 series GPUs will probably take a few months to get into laptops; they haven't been announced yet.

Here are a few options ...MSI Alpha 15 A4DEK-005 - 15.6" 144 Hz Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com - RX 5600M is on par with the GTX 1660 Ti and just below an RTX 2060.
    MSI GL75 Leopard 10SFK-029, 17.3" Gaming Laptop, i7-10750H - Newegg.com - A good deal for the hardware (RTX 2070) even before rebate.
    OMEN Laptop - 15-ek0019nr (3G346UA#ABA) (hp.com) - This one is a quad-core CPU but it's less expensive; add an 8GB stick of RAM to get 16GB and you'd be in good shape.
    OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dh1099nr (17N04UA#ABA) - Also add an 8GB stick to this one to get 16GB.
    Legion 5i Intel Gaming Laptop | 15.6&quot; Display | Lenovo US - Decent hardware for the money. The screen is especially nice.
    ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop AMD Ryzen 9 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q 1TB SSD Moonlight White GA401IV-BR9N6 - Best Buy - A little smaller (14") but a great deal for the money.

Try to factor in a two- or three-year warranty with your purchase. A laptop in the four-figure price range is worth protecting for at least two years.

Charles