New Gaming Laptop(which one should i get)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Addicted2GamZz, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Addicted2GamZz

Addicted2GamZz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How good is the Alienware 17 R4(i7 7700HQ and GTX 1060 or GTX 1070?) does that configuration get hot or is it just the i7 7820HK that gets hot? Should i get the FHD IPS Screen or the QHD 120Hz G-Sync? I like the 120Hz one :) should i get it?

Lakshya Shankar likes this.
  2. Toshi001

Toshi001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, since you mentioned the gtx1060, woould the MSI Stealth with gtx 1060 be a good option?

As for your ROG suggestion, isn't Asus known for its not so good cooling?
    I'm very interested in that ROG Ryzen though. If you compare the performance with similar specs, where do you rank the performance (between GTX 1060 - 1080)?

And any similar to the ROG for 15"?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. Lakshya Shankar

Lakshya Shankar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have checked many forums , most of the hot ones are the 7820HK ones as they generate way too much power for the poor heat sink to be able to handle . I think that i7 7700 HQ would be fine but i would still like the comments from some more people with recent experiences from AW 15 R3/17 R4 so that they can tell whether they encountered any problems or not!

4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cooling is generally not a problem with the 17" category - they have the real estate to put in a decent cooling solution. It is the small and light category that is most affected - with constraints on both size and weight, it is difficult to come up with an adequate cooling solution.
    Look out for the next lot of chips - INTEL's 8th gen CPUs which are designed with low power requirements, and NVIDIA's MAX Q range of GPUs which are designed to limit their performance to give you the best performance that the cooling system can support.

5. Lakshya Shankar

Lakshya Shankar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What about the AW15 R3 with Gtx 1070?
    Do they still need to be repasted as I also plan to buy it but I dont want to do the repasting as I fear I would damage my laptop. I am also returning from US soon so I have got only about a week to buy thisbor something else.So whats your thoughts about the AW15 presently?

6. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't know about this particular model (you should read the posts in the owners thread in the relevant forum) but if you plan on using any in India for more than a couple of years, be prepared to open it and clean it at regular intervals. Dust, lint... all sorts of stuff gets into the cooling system, greatly reducing its effectiveness. Repasting is part of that - in most cases you'll need to remove the heatsink for cleaning the cooling fins. It is not tough, except for liquid metal which can be a bit tricky to get right. If you don't want to do it yourself, cultivate a techie friend who'll do it for you.

7. Ikjot Singh

Ikjot Singh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for something similar to the ROG for 15", I would suggest an ROG gl503vm with a GTX 1060. There is another version of the laptop called the ROG Strix Hero with an ips 120 Hz display with great colour accuracy and brightness. Though it will be available in a few weeks.

8. Addicted2GamZz

Addicted2GamZz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    should i get the i7 7700HQ GTX 1060 or 1070 QHD 120Hz G-Sync or the FHD IPS Anti-Glare? i like the 120H z QHD screen? its the i7 7700HQ GTX 1060/1070 AW 17 R4? will that one not have any cooling issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.