New Gaming Laptop - Black Friday Vs Cyber Monday?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ChiroVette, Nov 26, 2021.

1. ChiroVette

ChiroVette Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay, first off, I should have thought to make this thread at least a week ago, but oh well.

So I bought two gaming lappies back in the day, thanks in large part to this forum helping me choose. Now I desperately need one ASAP, and one good piece of luck is that laptop GPU prices don't seem to be getting hit nearly as hard as desktop GPUs by bots and cryptominers.

So I have been looking at deals every day in the past few weeks leading up to Black Friday, and there are some decent ones, and I think as today goes on, there will be more appearing on sites. But that said, is today the day I should be looking aggressively? Or is Cyber Monday better for gaming laptops?

Note that I have no intention of trying to go to some overcrowded brick and mortar store. lol At that point, I would rather lose those additional in person savings. Also of note is I am flexible in price. I don't need the highest end laptop, but if I scored a great deal on something with a 3080 in it, that wouldn't be bad. On the other hand, I could even settle for something low end as a temp-laptop, and go for some of the ones a little over $500.00 to $600.00 I have seen with a 3050. I think I will probably end up settling on something in between, say with a 3060 or 3070, or perhaps even last years 20xx cards.

So tl;dr - For new gaming laptops, Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh the struggle!

I just rebuilt my server and luckily ordered a bunch of the pieces on Monday of last week and have been double checking prices and they actually went up on some items. Nothing has went down other than BB offering the NVME drives I swapped this week by $30 less than Amazon but, since they're a different model # they don't show up unless searching by the name / size.

As to the laptop struggle though... If you need something immediate grab something that will get it done for now. I would wait for the actual update /upgrade until the ADL laptops get released in a couple of months and then you'll have the best of the best until the next cycle. ADL was the reason I pulled the trigger on my server rebuild since it upped the game to PCIE 5 for more bandwidth when new products get released in the near future. I went with a MOBO though that has both 4 & 5 slots on it for diversity of placing items into them at different speeds.

sources indicate that Alder Lake-P (ADL-P) will have configurations to 6 GLC and 8 GRT cores while up to 8 GLC and 8 GRT cores can be expected
    upload_2021-11-26_9-48-54.png

Losing 2 P cores but adding 8 E cores. Add the option of DDR5 if supplies ramp up by then it should be easier to get them but, the DDR4 3600's perform just as well IME on the S CPU. The DMI moves to v 4 from 3 doubling throughput for add on things used through USB / GPU / etc. It depends on how the OEM's decide to run the connections

3. ChiroVette

Reputations:
    @Tech Junky I am definitely open to buying something serviceable for now and upgrading later on. I don't really understand your chart above, as I am not up on the nuances of the latest CPU tech, and have no idea about differences between, say Alder Lake(s) or Tiger Lake. That said, I don't mind doing a low end GPU based system, like a 3050 or 3050Ti, so long as the price is really good. I can get something with a 3060 or 3070 in the $1.3K to $1.7K ranges without Black Friday. If I am going to snag something with a 3050, say, it would have to be a great deal.

By the way, you didn't answer the thread question.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I really want a 17.3" screen, which may be kicking me out of my price range for even a 3050.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=247

I can't pull up the page ATM due to DNS issues with the page but, they have a good selection of options even up to high end max budget. TL is the current option 11th gen and it has decent specs but, ADL is going to put it to shame when it comes to more intensive tasks. On the desktop side ADL is outperforming most everything recent by at least 50% in benchmarks.

These should be similar though for 11th gen models...
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/Intel-Core-i7-11800H/

11th gen:
    3050's in the 1250-1300 range
    3060 $1350+
    3070 $1800+
    3080 $2350+

So, depending on what the OEM's decide to pair with the ADL chips I would say the boost in performance with these sort of GPU's the price band will go up slightly but, the GPU's may as well with newer releases coming as well. In the photo above the iGPU is moving from 32 EU's to 96 EU's 3X as many in the same space.

The Sager / Clevo options though tend to be in line with the major players and usually a bit cheaper because they don't spend much on advertising to the masses. RJ Tech is the fast shipper compared to Sager but, if you're willing to dive into secondhand to save more they can be had for lower prices. I picked up a 9750H / GTX1650 on ebay for $740 shipped when normally they were in the 1000-1300 range "new". It didn't appear used and I was going to gut it anyway to upgrade everything anyway so, the config didn't have much to do with things other than the CPU + dial NVME slots was what I was looking for. It's been holding its own though for the past couple of years.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. ChiroVette

Reputations:
    So I ended up waiting until Black Friday, which was obviously yesterday, and scored a very good deal on a gaming rig. It was priced low enough so that I decided to go higher end than I had originally planned. I was thinking the past week that I should stick with a 3050 or 3060 based unit, but I scored a lappy with the 17.3 inch screen I wanted, and a 3070 instead of the lower card. I also upgraded the monitor and the SSD because it was such a great deal. I snagged an HP, of all things. I didn't even know they made gaming rigs. I always associated them with business products.

Anyway, I got an Open 17t-ck000. Can I just say, what a weird name for the model. Anyway, all in, only $1,577.59, including free expedited shipping, sales tax, and the upgrades to the nicer screen, the better and faster SSD, and I think the base model came with 8GB of RAM and I may have had to pay a little extra for the 15GB I ordered, but I forget.

Here are the specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7-11800H (up to 4.6 GHz, 24 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads) + NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Laptop GPU (8 GB)
    • 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    • 17.3" diagonal, QHD (2560 x 1440), 165 Hz, 3 ms response time, IPS, micro-edge, anti-glare, Low Blue Light, 300 nits
    • 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
    • 6-cell, 83 Wh Li-ion polymer