New Gaming & Art Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by An Extra Truth, Apr 18, 2020.

1. An Extra Truth

An Extra Truth Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1300-$2000, with a little wiggle room to go above if needed.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    Looking for a 17in primarily, but I’m willing to go down to 15 or lower if the laptop is good and there’s good ports for external monitors.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: ASUS (kinda)
    b. Dislike: Dell? Acer?

I’ll admit that I’m still learning about brand reputations, but I’ll admit that I’ve heard enough damning things about Dell and Acer to be reluctant to get anything from them without extensive research or an ironclad long lasting warranty. My last laptop was an ASUS G75VW which lasted for about 8 years, but it did burn out a motherboard in it’s 3rd or 4th year. I would be open to getting another ASUS product, but I have no strong loyalties to the brand or anything.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    I would.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mostly gaming, digital painting and art (Photoshop mostly), and writing. I use a wacom tablet, so I don’t need a touchscreen or stylus.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Probably both, but not anywhere far from a charger realistically (Coffee shops and friend’s houses really). I still have a chromebook for any time I’d want actual battery life. For the most part though, the laptop will be in my room.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    I will. Current lineup of games would include Destiny 2, Path of Exile, EvE Online, Titanfall 2, Endless Space 2, X-Com 2, and the Witcher 3. So, FPS shooters, ARPGs, and Strategy games. Performance matters to me more than graphics, but I really don’t want my games to look like mud either.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    0, but having 3-4ish hours of portable time might be nice, but battery life is an easy sacrifice for me if it means having more power or storage.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying one on-line is OK, but I’m trying to do my due diligence with research and reviews.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1920 x 1080 minimum, though if higher res options are possible, I would be interested. High sRGB and aRGB would also be very welcome, as well as a high refresh rate.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I think a glossy screen would help with my desire to improve my art, but it’s not a dealbreaker to get matte. Honestly wondering if I should invest in an external display for my needs.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

At least a terabyte of SSD. Options for more storage is greatly desired.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Anytime, but It's been about a month since my ASUS died and I’m getting antsy. I’m thinking of making a purchase a little after May. That said, I guess I could wait longer for some of the newer models if they’re really promising (probably not though).

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    As long as possible to be honest. 3+ years at the least. It’s why I’m paying extra attention to thermals, pasting options, and build quality.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Pretty long. My job doesn’t rely on having one, it’s just annoying to just have this barebones chromebook.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    On-site warranty is preferable, but shipping for repairs is not a dealbreaker.

As far as additional information is concerned, I’m fairly novice when it comes to computers at this time. Watching all these laptop reviews and tech channels recently however has made me want to learn and try more.

At this time, there’s a few laptops I’m looking at that maybe you all can help convince me to get (or dissuade me from getting if it’s a bad idea). I’m positive that there’s some great options that I’m missing.

ASUS Zephyrus G15 with the 240hz screen- The AMD processor looks cool as hell, but some of the thermal issues I’ve heard about, display issues, and my own past experience with ASUS don’t exactly fill me with confidence.

Eluktronics MAX-17- probably with the 1660 and the liquid metal coolant for longevity, and I’m kinda hoping the original model will get a discount once the covert line is launched (doubtful, but you never know). Ooor I could just get the new version outright. Also I’m really looking at the MECH-17 and MAG-15. Mostly the MECH-17 with the smaller battery for the 2.5in drive bay.

Gigabyte AERO-15 or 17 with OLED- this is a very maybe right now because of the price tag, but damn that display is tempting.

2. Jupiter0401

Jupiter0401 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you looking for an art laptop, I will definitely recommend AERO 15 OLED or AERO 17 HDR. I had an AERO 15 OLED for gaming and video editing. The screen is awesome. I bought and used it for half a year, this is a nice feeling laptop and works smoothly without issues. I have a high tier desktop computer and I found my self playing on this one more than my desktop.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations: