New DNS service

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by ellalan, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That is all good stuff, and I do about the same myself, extensions or plugin's vary by browser, and I have added to Chrome the ScriptSafe and the Adblocker for Youtube and Facebook - I used to use NoScript - still do actually in some profiles, but ScriptSafe has been interesting to use - I also load a whole bunch of block lists for crypto coin among many other things.

The idea behind using different DNS servers than ISP, VPN, or other services providers (Google) is that you spread the data points around - outside the purview of all one entity - think of it as making them "work for it" if they want it all :)

Plus, it's good to change things up and keep yourself sharp and in focus - humans forget things easily and the most important thing you can do to stay sharp is stay connected to everything that counts - refreshing as often as necessary.

Plus it's fun stuff. Have fun :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    alexhawker, Vasudev and Maleko48 like this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I totally agree with your thinking of "not all in one place". I just figured most/all public DNS servers carry risks of collecting information on you since nothing is truly free really and I don't trust Google NOT to collect information on me.

If you or others think CloudFlare or Quad9 are safe to use from a security standpoint, I am definitely excited to use them.

I've just been more comfortable with my VPN's provided DNS servers since I do in fact pay for their services. I have just been dealing with the slight performance hit since it is all a package deal and easy to set and forget. I forgot, I also run the YouTube adblocker too on my Chrome.

I hope to go to school for Networking & Security at some point... I've already got all my gen-eds and electives out of the way in addition to some comp sci credits, but I've also long been interested in Mechatronics (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, Computer, Systems & Controls, Robotics, etc) engineering and was even accepted as a transfer student for Mechatronics Engineering at CSU Chico (although I am unable to attend due to life logistics).

At this point I would be happy just landing a Help Desk job to get me started down the path.

3. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    I don't think any of us can guarantee any of these providers are "safe", there are too many variables and over time they change. People come and go, responsibilities and focus change, and there are enough "holes" unknown that noone can cover what they aren't aware of :)

That's why I change it up from time to time, "spread the pain around", and it averages out over time. It's a good way to provide some level of exposure averaging.
    It's not that big of deal, and if you are comfortable with the response time and coverage, check them out with namebench see how they are redirecting and spoofing DNS responses (it's enlightening), being forewarned is forearmed.
    There's nothing wrong with school, I've done a lot of it, but I've learned 100x more outside of school on my own, and in fact I used to do tutoring in classes I was taking and higher level courses I hadn't taken yet, due to all of my work experience and independent application of technology, years ahead of school.

And, that's really not a big deal, as I think anyone can do this themselves. Push your boundries and you'll find the structure of school is there for their ease, not your's, and you can balance both - good experience when you have to work with people of all ranges of experience. Respect them and they will accept and respect you. :)
    You have to start somewhere, and when you are ready to level up, you'll know, sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes there are other skills besides technical ones to focus on to reach the next rung on the ladder.

Again, it's supposed to be fun, not work, that's the great thing about doing what you enjoy and are good at doing, you make everyone else happy and at the same time put a smile on your face. Noone else will or can work as hard as you can to make life work for you. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Riley Martin, alexhawker and Maleko48 like this.
  5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I personally greatly dislike school in the traditional sense- it makes me feel so trapped and confined. I really prefer first hand experience and learning by doing- I think it is more valuable and practical. I've been going back and forth over the years, hence my lack of degree, lol. Yet I still seem to know far more practical things than 95% of my friends. I know I will get where I want to eventually but it is unfortunate more companies/people don't value experience over schooling. When I used to work industrial construction, everybody hated the idiots in clean white hardhats and safety vests walking around with their degrees and clipboards barking orders that they think they know best because it looks good on paper, yet fail to realize they are extremely impractical when forcing us to actually implement them.

alexhawker and hmscott like this.
  6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does it matter if all my DNS settings are already using my VPN's DNS when performing this test or should I switch them back to my default ISP's DNS before performing the benchmark?

Here are my results with my current DNS set to my VPN's (looks like my VPN's DNS tanked):

DNSBenchmark_UncachedSort_001.png DNSBenchmark_UncachedSort_002.png DNSBenchmark_CachedSort_001.png DNSBenchmark_CachedSort_002.png

NOTE: the first two (left two) are sorted uncached and the last two (right two) are sorted cached

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Exactly, that's why I what I was alluding to when getting along with different kinds of people with different perspectives in the work place. You have to put yourself in their shoes, their insecurities and strengths, and meet them halfway, if you show them respect and step up with good intent and follow through with good work and commitment, it all flows easily and moves forward - which is what everyone needs and wants in a work situation.

School is a work situation, and has it's own rules from the perspective of all involved. Getting along there, finding a good center and breadth of experience playing those roles goes a long way to finding the same in a paying workplace.

Hands on is the key, putting parts together, configuring things so that they interact correctly, efficiently, and complete to a goal is something that most book students don't have a perspective with until they start working.

That's why I recommend people try to find work in their field during school. Either at the same time - what I did - or during summers and breaks. It's not easy, but it's worth it. Just as taking different disciplines in school gives valuable perspective for cross experience that helps pull things together, so does application of theory to practical experience.

More than anything, when I interview for a job or position, they want to see my work experience, not my school work or grades.

If you can't get paid work, do volunteer work, or work on open source projects - as that applies to your interests. Anything that shows you can start something and finish it within a work schedule for delivery as promised, and that in itself is rare among students.

Even if you have work in unrelated fields, or non-technical work. There is so much to learn just to be able to show up to a job on time, and have enough consistency to show you can apply yourself as a reliable person.

It's all interconnected, and as you grow through learning, gain expertise, and become knowledgeable in your field - becoming a specialty expert in various focuses within your area of work, it's almost like you wish you could go back to school to apply that discipline to learning - you'd get more out of it - it's a brief feeling, and it passes, but there it is. :)

Anyway, put together a nice network of computers, configure router software, dns software, set up source control, and build OS's or do development as you are interested, and just become a good OS user first, then grow from there.

Help Desk is fun, you get to help people, and that's what it's really all about, we are here to help each other. :)

Riley Martin and Maleko48 like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's a good question, and the answer is you can run the test as your current configuration is, and then when you find "better" servers to use set those up and run the tests again. :)

9. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Neustar Inc

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think it had worse response time pinging from India. Sorry about that!

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.