New DNS service

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by ellalan, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You don't want to leave DNS2 blank, you need DNS2 filled in with an alternative server IP to DNS1 - don't put in the same IP in both blanks. Do this in case DNS1 stops working, amazingly servers go down at times, or routes to those servers go down, even DNS servers. I usually use a completely different route / service provider for the DNS2 from the DNS1.

Riley Martin and WhatsThePoint like this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    The DNS Benchmark has almost 4000 DNS servers programmed in to it, so there are plenty of other alternatives. :)

alexhawker and Riley Martin like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I tried Cloudfare as DNS2 but it was slowing things down. Now, if it fails I might go to Cloudfare. For now I am quite happy with Quad9 Thanks to wizard @t456 . t456 do you actually teach at Hogwarts?

Riley Martin likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    DNS2 is only used if DNS1 fails to respond...although it can be used in other situations depending on the coding of the device; the reason for DNS2 is as a backup for DNS1.

@Vasudev - if you only have 1 *favorite* DNS server to put in DNS1, and haven't an idea what to put in DNS2, then download and run that DNS Benchmark program, and read my posts for the suggestions on how to run and find the top uncached performance and cached performance DNS servers, and pick the top one for DNS2. Annnnd, you may find that there is several faster DNS server from another service you could put in as DNS1/DNS2 pairings. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Riley Martin and Vasudev like this.
  5. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hopefully not too off-topic. But if you use an iphone there's a cool App called DNSOverride. You can set it up to disable ipv6 and it will also help prevent leaks.
    https://www.dnsoverride.com/
    I'm back to strictly OpenDNS (and my VPNs DNS). Cloudfare seemed like it might have been re-directing.
    If you aren't already try throwing the OpenDNS alternatives into your Adapter (so for e.g., router I'll use the main 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220, then for my machines adapters I'll plug in the 208.67.222.220 / 208.67.220.222 ).

Dr. AMK, t456 and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Good suggestions. I also disable all the Windows subdrivers for devices except for ipv4 - with all the holes in SMB and other discovery protocols it's best disabled completely as possible.

If you want detailed info on redirects and other shenanigans DNS servers pull, download that old Google hosted DNS app namebench I posted earlier, it will give lots (like wow) info about what a DNS server is pulling. :)

Note: the default 250 count setting for namebench is good, but I found 50 is enough for the meat of the testing. The 250 count is good to see more results deeper into slower servers.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Maleko48, Dr. AMK and Riley Martin like this.
  7. j95

j95 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Running DNS Benchmark, its kind of cool to see the company that I work for show up in the list

Riley Martin, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    NTT or OpenDNS?
    @Dr. AMK Try sorting DNS speed based on uncached test. I too got OpenDNS as faster alternative to Google/Quad9/CF DNS acc. to DNS bench tool from GRC.

10. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing this awesome DNS benchmarking tool. I was under the impression anyone who goes out of their way to use a VPN would never use stock ISP-provided DNS's due to security concerns / injections in the first place. In fact, my VPN provides their own DNS which I happily use because I trust them and their services I subscribe to (can't wait to see how they compare to others).

FWIW I find my connection faster and more stable by setting it up as a built-in Windows IKEv2 VPN connection rather than using my VPN's provided application to connect for me. The drawbacks however, are that I can't use their built-in ad filtering and extra security protections as well as their auto-kill features... but Windows at least offers a cutoff in the event it loses connection which is better than nothing.

I always disable my ipv6 for my devices based on my VPN's suggestion. I also run the following Chrome extensions: HTTPS Everywhere, AdGuard or UBlock Origin (only one or the other at a time depending on the day or week), Privacy Badger, and WebRTC Network Limiter.

I find ipleak.net to be the most comprehensive leak tester for me that brought things such as RTC leaks to my attention.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.