New details regarding upcoming GTX 780M

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Every GPU has a power performance curve, the further you move away from the intended speed the lower the efficiency gets, considering you would have to hack off the major advantage (rops and extra 128bit memory controller) along with the tanked clocked speeds you would get a VERY sporadic performing chip weak in all the areas nvidia are usually strong in.

2. neoideo

neoideo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    in my case a not so powerfull GPU with GK110 functionalities, such as dynamic parallelism and hyperq, would have been Great for what i am doing. I guess it is not the time yet.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

3. ryzeki

ryzeki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As meaker mentioned, the additional power GK110 requires with added functions that GK104 doesn't use, along with power constraints etc, it would have require a massive downlclock, undervoltage and generally underperfoming GPU. The result would be that you could have had a much more powerful overclocked 680m than what the ultra castrated titan could muster.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    +1

If they are worried it's not as fast as the "lower" GeForce, they can make it a Quadro. The same applies to the FirePro line.

A top-end desktop card underclocked to fit into a notebook with all the functions untouched could even be useful for testing race conditions and stuff like that. It's a very different story when you're running a mid-range chip with only 1/24 FP64.

6. unphoto

unphoto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't mind the Dutch text, just look at the pretty pictures and the 30% faster bit :)

7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well even tho the 8970m is quite the disappointment, i doubt that nvidia claim of holding 99%+ of haswell gaming notebooks will come true :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.