New details about Nvidia`s Maxwell

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Videocardz spoiled the details today.

Here is how GM107 look like

Maxwell now features 128 CUDA cores per SMX. Kepler had 192 CUDA cores per SMX.

Best part is that its looking to be really power efficient despite running on 28nm.

Exclusive: NVIDIA Maxwell GM107 architecture unveiled | VideoCardz.com

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    "Maxwell is said to provide twice the performance per watt of Kepler." :thumbsup:

So, it's not delayed until the end of the year. I knew they wouldn't wait that long, it just wouldn't make sense. It looks like another late Q2 release for the high end GPU's.

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This I found interesting in that article too:

[copy & pasted from article]
    "As opposed to previous leaks, the die size of GM107 is even smaller, not 156 but 148mm2. Compared to GK107 the density of CUDAs per mm2 has increased roughly by 30%. The density of transistors increased by 15%. Remember, this is all on the same fabrication process."

So, Cloudfire, you worked out in another thread that each core was about 20% more efficient than a Kepler core on the basis of performance per core. In the above quote "Cores per mm" have increased by 30%, while transistor density increased only 15%, which to me indicates that each Maxwell core is simpler with less transistors than Kepler. If that's the case then Maxwell have been able to get more performance per transistor while at the same time increasing transistor density by 15%. I think this spells really great improvements in performance per mm squared when comparing Maxwell against Kepler - I might even hazard a guess at something like 30% more performance per mm squared. If that stands with the same or less Watts per mm squared then that's really a big achievement.

4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I think you're referring to 20nm Maxwell, the article was referring to 28nm Maxwell (that's how I read it). Maxwell will provide twice the performance of Kepler when shrunk to 20nm, not at 28nm.

5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    TDP of GTX 750 Ti is 60W. TDP of GTX 650 Ti is 115W. GTX 750 Ti is atleast 20% faster than GTX 650 Ti. Incredible!
    You are absolutely right. To be able to increase density which should normally increase heat, increase core performance while decreasing TDP is nothing but amazing.

I can`t wait to see what GM108, aka GT 840M will be able to do. According to many sites, Maxwell go live February 18th. So fingers crossed.

Also, this is pretty important:
    I got my eye on that GM204 :cool:

Atom Ant and Robbo99999 like this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    WOW! Now I'm impressed after you let me know those TDP's, because that was the missing piece in the puzzle for me! I think as long as all these leaks are accurate that we're basing this information from, then Maxwell is going to be amazing, even in 28nm! The numbers seem almost too good to be true, so it does make me question the validity of the leaks - but we shall see! :) Good find on all the leaks Cloudire!

Oooo yeah! GM204 looking pretty good!! (You watch me stick with my GK104 until some Volta goodness though!) GV304 FTW!!

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am extremely eager to see what the Lenovo Y50 will be able to do now.

varung356 likes this.
  8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    More smoke and mirrors. The fact that Maxwell is not 20nm is disappointing enough. I'll just hold out and wait and see what happens. This has been a long road, and the light is seeming more of a dim candle than the blazing sun.

flingin likes this.
  9. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    It is promised to have significant performance/watt improvement already on 28nm die and if that is true, that is super. And according to Fud, another 30% improvement coming with 20nm... I'm actually very happy to Maxwell, unlike AMD's new Radeons, these not re-names.

10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Wax On...Wax Off! :) Yes, I enjoyed your last sentence, it made me laugh, not in a bad way...tech can be so...spiritual sometimes. ;-)

Wouldn't a move to 20nm mean more like a 100% improvement? Theoretical calculations suggest that you could fit nearly twice the number of transistors per mm squared going from 28nm down to 20nm, so if FUD say that a move to 20nm will only give a 30% improvment in performance then I think they're way out.