New Desktop Replacement - loaded specs - no GPU req

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Meetloaf13, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    1500-2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Pref 15" for the 10key pad on the keyboard
    14" works if all else is in line

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Pretty Open-minded
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    YES

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Heavy load office use, multimedia, some creation, no gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    On my desk 80% of the time, but will go home with me and to clients several times a week. Occasional travel

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    NO

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5+, but this is low on the totem pole

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    not necessary

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10 Pro

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080P. I have little use for 4K laptop screen. I prefer the battery life it saves as well.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn't matter, but the screen needs to be bright, 300nits+

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    It can't be too flashy, this will be used in a business environment. Plainer the better

I like a sturdy laptop.

I prefer it light and skinny without a massive powerbrick. I don't need a GPU, as long as I can stream/play 4K to my LG via HDMI.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1-2TB, I'm a pack rat. Would be nice if it had an additional NVME slot, as I have a spare 1TB drive I could slap in

I need 32GB of RAM minimum.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    2-3 years then I'll upgrade

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    during Jan-Apr, very little time

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Depends on the price

==========
    END COPY

Here are a few other wants/needs.

I just purchased a Lenovo P14s. I'm mostly happy with it except for the screen (super dim, 250nits), even in a dark room it doesn't have enough brightness. Also, I derped, and forgot that it isn't compatible with my Thunderbolt dock because I have the AMD Ryzen 7 4750u. I'm open to other docks, but I also need Gigabit ethernet speeds unfettered. Not sure if non-Thunderbolt docks can hold up, especially when running 2-3 1080p monitors and having all other USB ports full.

I really like the idea of running an AMD chip, I want it to be fast, 4750u is very nice. I prefer if my laptop isn't a heat factory though. MY current Aero 15X9 is a crotch burner.

I like having a 10-key pad. This is what I would prefer. but I can get an external one if needed.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think you're going to find most of the best displays are 4k. If you want something lower resolution, the XPS 15 has a very good LCD, but no 10 key. The ThinkPad T14s offers AMD CPUs and the low power LCD is pretty good, but again no 10 key and there's a bit of lottery on the LCDa. The quality can vary quite a bit.

3. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
  4. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you don't care about the GPU, why get a machine with a Quadro?

6. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    Best thing I can find that checks all the other boxes. These are pretty basic GPUs, wouldn't hurt to have them to do some occasional encoding and a little 3D modelling for 3D printing. I just don't want to sell the farm to pick up a 2070 or the like.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The Dell Precision 7550/7540 can be ordered without a GPU and have 500nit wide gamut 1080p display options. Only thing is ram and storage are overpriced so I would add them aftermarket.

etern4l, saturnotaku and Meetloaf13 like this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Plus, you can save a fair bit of coin by getting a refurbished one from the Dell Outlet. They carry the same warranty as new so there's little to no risk.

Aivxtla, Meetloaf13 and etern4l like this.
  9. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The thing is, you're saying you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a 2070, yet you're showing interest in laptops that exceed the prices of those with 2070's.
    I paid less for my Clevo with a 2070 Super and a i7-10875H than the cost of that Thinkpad you linked.

10. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    It's not about the $$ to a certain point. I simply 1) don't need the GPU power (and don't want it...removes a time-wasting temptation) 2) Battery Savings 3) The Lenovo TB Gen 2 Dock is awesome.

I ended up with a P15V, loaded except for GPU, and now when I show up to my office, my power, ethernet 3 monitors, keyboard, webcam, usb soundbar, usb microphone, usb cooling pad, usb dock, usb keyboard, usb wireless dongle, etc all plug in with ONE set of plugs. It's a dream.

Thanks everyone for your help.