New Dell XPS M1730 on the way?

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think you are talking about the M1710, the predecessor to the M1730 that is the subject of this thread...I am talking about their recently released ultra-thin-and-light 13" notebook, the M1330. It doesn't have bling (a small XPS logo on the bottom edge of the lid is the only thing), or louvers, or red lights.

And yes, the M1710 is quite flashy (and not much to my taste to be honest), but at least it isn't as hideous as the M1730....Lights and louvers > faux CF-look patterning and big red slabs.

Link to more info on the M1330 here: http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I'm afraid that they just might be that dumb. Actually, I don't even think its dumb. Blind more like.

2. mtylerjr

mtylerjr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh. You are correct! It is the M1710 that I was thinking of. The m1330 looks a LOT better. Sorry for the confusion!

3. Dragon_Myr

Dragon_Myr Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The new XPS is just absolutely hideous...

At least they added the keypad FINALLY. The color of the system is just horrible, the keyboard doesn't match, there's too much XPS branding, and the mix of old design ideas with new design ideas just doesn't work. The only part of this new XPS that looks decent is probably the bottom because I don't like the inside and I don't like the top of the lid either. I really expected more after they came out with the m1330. I also expected more from the graphics card.

I don't know about all of you, but when I buy a system I want black, silver, and clean lines. Car-like paintjobs and materials have never appealed to me, personally. Also, just because I play some war games doesn't mean I want my laptop to reflect that. Dell seems to be on a copying streak here. They copied Samsung with the m1330 and now they're trying to copy Acer and VooDoo at the same time for this XPS. It worked for the m1300, but it's not going to work here. Dell should have tried to copy Toshiba instead.

4. pro101

pro101 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow! It's terribly UGLY.

I was expecting Dell to finally respond to Apple and their nice looking MACs, by focusing the XPS on a performance laptop that is ergonomic in e.g. an airplane (a 17-inch Macbook is less tall than my 14-inch Inspiron 600m!) and looks good for office use. Essentially, a M1330 XPS with a 15-inch and 17-inch screen option + better video card (with DVI out -- no more VGA).

But if they release this, I might as well go buy one of the new MACs in October. Dell, tell us this picture is a joke?

5. ryannel2003

ryannel2003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't like the finish on the inside; guess they are trying to copy HP's Imprint Finish, which in my opinion is much better looking than this. I do, however, like the white keyboard. Very Apple-esque.

6. X-29

X-29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This notebook is disapointing. Just so many people are focusing on how ugly it is.

I have been waiting for either Dell or Alienware to get a Geforce 8m series card into their gaming notebooks since the beginning of the summer. Now finally one of those shows up, but its still just the 8700M? Come on. Eveyone knows that the 8700m is merely an overclocked 8600m GT and still doesn't hold a candle to the 7950 GTX that was in the old 17" XPS. How could Dell let this happen? That's why I'm disappointed in this notebook. It won't match up to the performance of the last generation.

On the bright side, other rumors I have tracked down indicate the XPS 1730 will support SLI. Dual 8700m's might be acceptable if vista gets an update to support SLI anytime soon.

Oh, but it is still really ugly.

7. fabarati

fabarati Frorum Obfuscator

Reputations:
    well, the 8800+ cards haven't been released yet.

8. yang88she

yang88she Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Wow! Thats pretty nice. And its nice to find another notebook with a backlit keyboard (after the MacBook Pro).

Now the decision to go with the 8600GS doesn't seem all that bad, as long as it comes with 2 standard. Although, this is still as ugly as sin.

10. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen a backlit keyboard thats black? just wondering if it exists.

Im thinking once all the details are out, half of you are gonna love it and not care so much about the looks.....at least those of you in the market for a new laptop. Im sure the price will be good for what you get.

Dell isnt stupid, and we here are a microscopic fraction of the potential buyers out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.