New Dell XPS L521X (Ivy Bridge)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by htrex, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xnap30

xnap30 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Price for macbooks have better retention but I'm decided on staying in the windows hemisphere

2. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    still not a fair comparison

retina is very fragile and it has no user replaceable parts making it a NECESSITY to pay $350 for the warranty...so even your "base" model would come to 2550 and you will still miss out on 16gb ram, you could buy your own SSD and still come out ahead....you can have the better processor whose real world boost won't be felt over the 3612

3. Thangnm

Thangnm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The one i compare to(dell xps 15 $1700) also has 8gb ram. I dont believe gorilla glass on the dell xps would be able to protect the screen if you drop the laptop. Agree that you have to pay more for warranty but for that they will replace you laptop if there us anything wrong with it. Also the base model mbpr comes with 256gb ssd whereas dell xps one doesn't. Also you missed out about better gpu on mbpr. I am not saying that mbpr is well priced, but dell xps is more overpriced for what it offers.

4. Quix Omega

Quix Omega Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you want to run Windows as your primary OS the Mac isn't a real option unless you like horrible battery life. The lack of Optimus support made me drop the Mac from my list of possible notebooks early on. It's a nice notebook, but it's not really designed to run Windows, except as a compatibility mode.

5. bjammin

bjammin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed, there is no point comparing a Mac to a Windows PC if you want to run Windows as your primary OS.

Bad battery life, sketchy graphics drivers, poor gaming performance and an unfamiliar keyboard make any Mac a poor experience if Windows is your primary OS. Throw in how badly Windows (depending on the apps you use) handles font scaling and The Retina Macbook Pro is a pretty terrible experience.

6. Kamshyr

Kamshyr Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree with you.

I was considering buying a MBP but the XPS 15 is still my top choice.

7. Xps13SAM

Xps13SAM Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not going to boot camp. I guess I'm just a Mac at heart. It stupid to boot camp. Otherwise, if you're running OSx on the mbpr it runs like a dream. You can thank dell for me over with this terrible experience. Bill has done a great job but as a company with billions of dollars I think they can afford some better quality assurance while testing new units. I like windows and I like Mac, but I'm loving Mac more. MBPR will be in my hands this weekend more than likely. And I'm getting the bottom model of it. I don't need a 512gb SSD when I can get a 256gb and then have my 500gb Seagate external HDD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Francesco V.

Francesco V. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ancient Romans said: Omen Nomen. We can transform it in: Omen Nicknomen :D
    You are just really Angry, Bambi :p

9. kgh00007

kgh00007 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, definately looks like the cooling system is insufficient, they don't believe a BIOS update is going to relieve the throtteling issue either :(

10. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In the past there was someone in this thread who had a very bad opinion of Asus, can't remember if it was for their support or for build quality. Do you remember who he was so I can contact him for further explanations? After reading Notebookcheck's review I'm seriously considering Asus N56VZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.