New Dell XPS L521X (Ivy Bridge)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by htrex, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That should be better. On my L502X, I replaced the stock HDD with a SSD and moved the HDD to the optical bay adapter (NewModeUS).

2. nunomoreira10

nunomoreira10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    notebookcheck review!
    Google Translate

well, 94 to 97 degrees with the processor underclocked to 1.2 Ghz after several hours of Battlefield 3.
    Granted, the ambient temperature was between 24 to 27 degrees.
    No way dell can stop the throttling without the computer crashes, it needs a better cooling.

3. AlexMc

AlexMc Newbie

Reputations:
  4. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, shut down in stress test even for Notebookcheck... :eek2:
    New Bios does not solve the issue even for Notebookcheck...

I guess Dell needs to redesign cooling system..

5. AlexMc

AlexMc Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been following this thread for the last week or so as I'm in the market for a new laptop. This new XPS 15 has been on my short list as my previous laptop was the Dell XPS M1530, and I was extremely happy with it. In case you're wondering, the XPS M1530 is still going strong, and has now found a new home with my mum.

Unfortunately, I know I'm going to want to play games on it and the throttling is going to be an issue for me.

For the last year or so I've been using a Cooler Master X2 cooling pad which not only kept my M1530 quite a bit cooler, but also elevated the screen slightly which made the laptop more comfortable to use. Has anyone tested the L521 on a similar cooling pad to see if it makes a noticable difference?

Although it looks like the throttling will eventually be improved with the release of a new BIOS, I was wondering if a cooling pad used in conjunction with this fix could make the throttling a non-issue for gaming.

Perhaps Dell should release a bespoke cooling pad with extra ports and a subwoofer, then we can have a capable gaming system when at home, and a stylish laptop on the go!

6. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    THAT would be a GREAT idea! :) I'd definitely purchase it

Sent from HTC HD2 with Tapatalk

7. dorekk

dorekk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This...is actually an amazing idea. That Asus laptop comes with an external subwoofer, Dell should do the same thing. The L521X is definitely thin enough that a cooling pad wouldn't be a pain in the .

8. Thangnm

Thangnm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol. Hate to say this but I told you so. For this price, mbpr is better value.

9. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what price is that btw?

the full blown xps is 2300 for 16gb RAM and 512SSD...same specs for MBPR is 3000

10. Thangnm

Thangnm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lets compare the price for the core i 7 model. Xps 15: $1700, mbpr:$2200. Price different is $500. But for that you have better processor, better graphic, much better screen. If I have money and look for premium product (style over performance, "WOW factor"), i would go for that. If i look for cheaper altenative, i would go for hp envy 15, arguably as good as dell 15 in build quality but much better in term of performance. More important is both those machines do not have wifi and throttling issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.