New Dell XPS L521X (Ivy Bridge)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by htrex, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Botsu

Botsu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because that's what sells.

Also, one can hope based on the fact that the GT 640M + i7-3612qm (35W) combo does not sound too ambitious. After all it's 15.6" and it's not an ultrabook either.

2. uchihacg

uchihacg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 650M isn't much faster than the 640M. 640m's performance is near the 560m.... so this is very nice. > 2x performance of current gpu's the 525 and 540m.

3. Luoar

Luoar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone explain the whole matte screen thing, with the gorilla glass? I mean, whats the use of a matte screen, when you cover is with glass?

4. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The same discussion on two threads.

The 640 is Kepler while the 630 is Fermi (previous generation) so if you care about 3D graphics, get the 640. Anandtech has the info on the confusing mobile 600 line. Dell really needs to test the system at high stress because as Razor2 said, cooling could be an issue.
    The laptop looks nice (copied MBP) but hopefully they still have the premium speakers. We already have a XPS15z without good speakers so no need to have the regular XPS 15 have bad speakers. Maybe Dell is planning to combine the XPS 15 and 15z into one model.

5. uchihacg

uchihacg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Agree with the speakers! And I doubt dell does ANY heat tests... seriously. They send me replacements and technicians (about 3 times now) but they fail to consider that this issue was this laptop is poorly designed. You can't keep giving me new parts and hope it'll cool down when you put in such a small heat sink and one fan.

Look at the Envy Spectre 15. Same size, bigger battery (About 10 more Watts/Hr battery) better audio (2 sub woofers), 2 fans, 2 heatsinks. ~About the same thinness, the 15z is a little thinner. This shows they're obviously not constrained by space.

If they can't make a thin laptop that performs like they advertises, they should remove the i5, gpu and put in a ulv and sell it as a machine that can't perform intensive tasks.

6. techtonic

Reputations:
    After that Geforce class action suit where the chips melted, you would think Dell would be teting their laptops better. I hope so at least.

If the Envy Spectre 15 is everything you say, it might be a better deal than the Dell. But sites are suggesting it will be close to $2000 US which is way more than an XPS 15. Either way competition is good if it becomes the Envy Spectre vs the XPS 15. April 29 is supposed to be the Ivy Bridge release so we'll see what these guys come up with.

7. uchihacg

uchihacg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes HP Envy Spectre's starting price would be $1500 im assuming as the current ones are at that range. And yes, all of those are true. I've seen the spectre's internals. Surely fit in more stuff and more fans than the engineers at dell.

8. Razor2

Razor2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Envy 15 is not bad, however the GPU cannot be used above 600mhz, which is pretty poor, and the screen is lets just say junk. Its an FHD IPS, but if you look at the tests, the colour reproduction so off, that red appears visibly as orange.

9. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Suffering from Affluenza

Reputations:
    Don't tell me this laptop is going to have one of those stupid Apple-imitation buttonless clickpads...! >.<

Gee, I wonder if it will be unresponsive and crappy :rolleyes:

10. techtonic

Reputations:
    If you look at a current XPS 15 from the angle shown on the picture, you can barely see the trackpad buttons since it's the same color. So it probably has trackpad buttons, just hard to notice on the picture, at least I hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.