New Dell XPS L521X (Ivy Bridge)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by htrex, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htrex

htrex Newbie

Reputations:
  2. Brabostaan

Brabostaan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting. Waiting for the XPS 17 L721x?

3. beno619

beno619 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hopefully it comes with a Gt 640m and 1600 * 900 screen as standard 720p isn't really accepable for a high end multimedia machine.

4. htrex

htrex Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess the look will be similar to the new XPS 13, slightly thicker (about 25mm ?) and using a gt640m as the entry level GPU (least powerfull Kepler GPU).

About the screen think Dell will use a crappy standard one with a costly FHD RGB or IPS upgrade as usual.

5. Botsu

Botsu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tbh I think Dell screwed up the XPS 15/XPS 17 design because at that time they missed the opportunity to take a bold leap forward and come up with a thin and sexy design before it became a global trend at some point in 2011.

Something closer to Samsung's series 7 would have been an epic win but they went for a bulky and rather uninspired case instead. They were definitely a better alternative to their Asus/Acer/Hp/... counterparts but they missed the premium feel of the previous XPS and now I wouldn't consider buying one even with a huge discount, not when Ivy Bridge is so close & even perfectly mainstream laptops are getting sexy designs with lighter and thinner form-factors.

So to summarize I sincerely hope Dell can come up with something that lives up to the XPS brand this time around :) I definitely don't want an ultrabook, but seriously 6.5lbs / 1.6" thick 15" laptops were ok in 2009/2010. Give us something in-between with some horsepower and a broad range of ports.

6. beno619

beno619 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If the gt 640m is the entry level card and there's an ungraded card it's going to be hard to resist an upgrade :p

7. htrex

htrex Newbie

Reputations:
    In a few months we are likely going to see much more thin laptops as the next generation of CPU and GPU are scaling from 32 to 22nm for Intel CPUs and from 40 to 28nm for GPUs.
    Intel is even introducing the first 35W TDP Quad core (i7-3612) that is 10W less from the prev gen, this leaves room for much more power in the same form factor, or equal/slightly more power in a thiner case.

Looking at XPS 13 prices this is not coming cheap, I guess from 1100 to 1600$ for full specs.

8. bensmith0212

bensmith0212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree, the only thing that pushed me away from buying the XPS is the ugly design. I probably will buy the 17 inch samsung series 7 when it comes out.

9. Risco

Risco Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fix the fan Dell!

10. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1