New Dell Studio 17 announced (Studio 1745/47)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c-mattic, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anodize

anodize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    According to my resources monitor, the freq is at 96%+ all the time so I believe my cpu-z is actually right.
    My concern is that the multi does not fall down even when my machine is in idle. It runs at max freq all the time and thus giving me really high temps.

2. FredFlint_

FredFlint_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would use task manager to see if a process is using a core. Some of them are hidden so click "show processes from all users" button. If nothing is running you could try getting the Intel turbo gadgets and see what that displays.
    This is a pic of Cpuz + RealTemp on my laptop:

[​IMG]

3. anodize

anodize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fred, I have one more question for you. When you double click the BIOS file does it install automatically without your consent? I wonder if that's normal? Thx.

4. FredFlint_

Reputations:
    I downloaded 1747A11_W32-64.exe from dell driver site and its an automated updater. When I ran it it opens a window that says its going to do the update and after about 30s a progress bar starts. The update takes about 2mins then I reboot. I also got a newer Intel chipset driver from Intels site. Give that a try and see if that helps.

5. anodize

anodize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fred, do you have the link to that chipset driver? What does it do? Any improvement? Thx a lot.

6. FredFlint_

Reputations:
  7. anodize

anodize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thx Fred.
    Btw, did you apply an aftermarket thermal compound? What is your room temp? I noticed your temps are cooler than mine.

8. FredFlint_

Reputations:
    I have a Cooler Master Notepal U2 laptop cooler but temps have not dropped much ~3-5 C at most but the finger pad feels allot cooler when games are running.
    Normal idle temp are:

cold day = ~45C
    hot day = 58C

Under load the max temp is about 75 - 82C.

The room temp is between about 18 - 25C I think (not tested).

The person that did ThrottleStop post on this forum, he seems to know about how the CPU frequency works. He may be able to help you find out whats happening.

9. cckatzy

cckatzy Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to plug my laptop into my TV, however, my only options for inputs are S video or RCA. How do I accomplish this? I've searched everywhere for a cable that has HDMI on one end and S video on the other, but can't find them anywhere. Do they even exist? If not, then, does one exist for HDMI and RCA?

10. floridaman

floridaman Newbie

Reputations:
    I just purchased a Studio 1747 with Windows 7 Home Premium and have noticed that all of the windows sounds are cutoff. You can use any sound scheme and the same thing happens. When you go into the sound settings and preview the windows sounds the first attempt is cutoff. Click preview sound again and it works perfectly. Wait a few minutes and try again and you get the exact same result. I have Soundblaster X-Fi MB installed and also the IDT high definition driver as well. I have the most current IDT driver that I downloaded from Dell. The version number is 6.10.0.6267. This problem happened fresh out of the box. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out what was causing the problem. I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my machine and when I installed the IDT driver the windows sounds started cutting out. If you uninstall the driver the Windows sounds are perfect. So obviously the IDT driver has a bug and I see other people have reported this problem since December 2009. If you remove the IDT driver the Sounblaster functions don't work. What amazes me is that Dell hasn't resolved this issue. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.