New Dell Studio 17 announced (Studio 1745/47)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c-mattic, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brendan_kelly

brendan_kelly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not a huge deal, but about a week ago a small white dot appeared on my screen. You can only see it against a white background. It doesn't really bother me - and I'm definitely not going to ask for a screen replacement for such a small issue - but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do on my end. I've tried UDP Pixel and other programs that try to bring the pixel back to life by flashing various colors. I don't think it's a dead pixel because it's white...not black.

2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    If you press on it gently, does it flicker or pulsate? If so, you may be able to get rid of it via gentle massaging of the location. If it stays solid no matter what, you're most likely stuck with it.

3. brendan_kelly

Reputations:
    It doesn't do very much when I press on it. The only weird thing is that the computer is only a month old...and the dot wasn't there initially. I guess I was just unlucky and got a "sleeping" pixel. Any chance that it will wake up someday?

4. FredFlint_

FredFlint_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a new BIOS (A11) on Dells Driver site.

I have installed it and run the laptop (1747 - i7) and it seems to be OK.

5. Coruja

Coruja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I installed this to, though it's anybody's guess what it does/fixes.:confused:

6. throbinskin

throbinskin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. duffydack

duffydack Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. brendan_kelly

Reputations:
    Posted this elsewhere but I thought I'd put it here too. My computer has developed a few more "white spots" since I last mentioned the problem. Only one of these is visible when I stare at it directly; the other three spots can only be seen when you look at the screen from an indirect angle. Still, it's a little strange that these dots are multiplying. Anybody know of an explanation and what I can do to fix/prevent them?

9. anodize

anodize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I set my Studio 17(/w i7 720qm and 4650) with high performance setting and I notice it runs at 96%+ frequency all the time according to my resources monitor. I ran CPU-Z and notice it's at 21 multipliers all the time as it rarely falls to 20. It's running at 53~56c(10 FF tabs, foobar and wmp playing at the same time) and 65-70c when I game. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

10. FredFlint_

FredFlint_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    CpuZ dose not see the actual frequency, it only shows the max. I use RealTemp which shows the current frequency. My q720m normally stays at about 930mhz when idle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.