1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Dell Inspiron 14 7000 / 7437

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by kumarshah, Oct 1, 2013.

1. kumarshah

kumarshah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New Inspiron 14 7000 Series Thin & Light Laptop Details | Dell

I was in the market for a 14" full HD laptop, but didn't see anything on here about this model.

The main concern I have with it right now is that it comes with just a 500 GB HDD 5400 RPM storage. Anybody have an idea on whether this can be replaced by a 256/512 GB SSD?

Also, I am assuming onboard RAM means it can't be upgraded?

Thanks

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You should be able to replace the primary drive with an SSD... I can't find a service manual so I'm not sure about the onboard RAM. If you're lucky it might be half soldered and half removable.

3. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just did a live chat with Dell and they confirmed that the hard drive is user replaceable without voiding the warranty. It looks pretty solid... I'd like to wait and see how the display is though. Even though it's 1080p it could be TN which would be disappointing...

4. caesius

caesius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually ordered the Core i7 model. I'm now looking at QHD+ resolution ultrabooks and I don't know if I want to settle for 1080p. For what it's worth, I'd say the Inspiron 7437 is a bargain. I wouldn't really mind the 1080p resolution if the screen quality is good. I don't know why there aren't any other videos of the Inspiron 7000 series. From the videos I've seen, they have only shown us the start screen with the Live Tiles. They were also recording in areas with odd lighting, too. I hope the screen quality is on par with the VAIO Pro series...

5. CapnBry

CapnBry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All the RAM is soldered to the mainboard, there's no slots at all. Not upgradable.

The hard drive is just a standard laptop hard drive so you can replace it with any SATA SSD. Not sure if it is 7mm or 9mm yet though (EDIT: 5mm). There's also an MSATA slot (EDIT: confirmed)
    [​IMG]

6. caesius

Reputations:
    The battery is integrated! NOOOOO! [screaming echoes]
    I don't know if I should go by the charge cycle of 300 charges and discharges for the battery. I'm sure li-ion batteries can last for more than that before it shows any signs of major dwindling in battery life. The 15 and 17 inch models each have a user replaceable battery though. Welp, I guess that's the price you pay for having ultra-portability.

7. wesker555

wesker555 Newbie

Reputations:
    It's not even ultra-portable. Disappointing.

I assume that Dell's extended warranties don't cover the battery, correct?

8. caesius

Reputations:
    I meant for the form factor. Oops. It's not considered "ultra-portable" at around 4.5 lbs. :/
    I'm not sure about the warranty thing.

9. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    They could have made everything smaller, and reducing that bulky bezel. Typical of Dell. Should have opted out 13 inch style with thin bezel like the xps 13..

But still very impressed with the design. Slow clap.. kudos.. My faith is somewhat restored after enduring the ugly E6420/30 designs..

10. aylons

aylons Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, Kavery.

The RAM is upgradable, but there is no 16 GB option at Dell's website. If the RAM is soldered, how can I upgrade it to 16GB?

Also, is there an option for SSD while buying from Dell or should I upgrade the HD myself?