1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Command Center for M17x

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by scook9, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatBoy

BatBoy NBR Community Moderator

Reputations:
    Agreed on the CC usefulness factor.

Personally, I have AlienFusionService and the FAService services stopped and disabled. In addition to disabling these two services I have also chosen to disable FATrayAlert and the AlienFXController startup items. Having the FXController not load at startup requires a manual launch of it to change colors, but its a only a small issue. The disabling of the items I mentioned was how I was able to completely eliminate in-game stuttering as well as mp3 playback issues.

What I would like to see is Dell/AW release an installer which allows you to choose which modules are installed. Actually, I need to head over to Dell's IdeaStorm and post that if its not already up there.

I'll upload a theme to the AlienFX Theme thread in a moment.

2. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

Reputations:
    Hey on the resourse cd you can install alienfx lite which is nothing but a alienfx editor :D

I could create a program to change it from a file.

Have a batch file that looks in a specific file for .theme files then write it to the alienfx board

only thing is I do not know the dev I'd or location to send it to ....And it would require testing which could mess up your alien fx.

But my programming skills are like a 2/10 lol so anything I did would pale in comparison to findvikas. Also the only reason his program does not work is due to the dev id's for the alienfx controllers changed on the new allpowerfuls. And now that Dell changed it up :rolleyes:

If we can get him to agree maybe you and me batboy could work on his source code to write the new XML files and change the dev I'd :D lemme kno in pm's or email

3. Taomyn

Taomyn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can be fixed by reinstalling the current version then the new version is able to remove it.

I might remove and reinstall the new one anyway as the FX editor crashes everytime I try to add a new application :-(

4. Thatoe

Thatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, followed BatBoy's method and it's working now. Thanks!
    The thing I don't get is during the installation, why does it ask for the computer model? I mean, shouldn't it just somehow detect it? It didn't ask when i installed over the old version.

5. Praetorian77

Praetorian77 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like I said, I just fixed mine with a re-install of Windows (needed to anyway) but thanks guys! Also, I have all 4 functions available, including Fusion, in Windows 7....so don't know what's up with Fusion on your rig Scook....

6. menengroth

menengroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    cheers man, this fix worked for me!

ps: love the blog

7. ido50

ido50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I'm boned. After about a month of not booting into Vista (I dual-boot Linux on the second hard drive) I thought I might as well boot into Vista and update some programs and drivers. Well, as always, now I wanna kill myself.

I've updated Command Center just as BatBoy suggested, first removing CC, then using CCleaner, etc., being careful to shutdown and not reboot after installing the new version... Doesn't work, lights disappeared. I get the same error message mentioned in this discussion before, CC cannot connect to the device, cannot find it, whatever.

I've repeated the process about a million times, either booting after every step or not booting after every step, whatever combination possible. No go. Tried running AlienFX and playing with the theme, no go. I removed the new CC completely again, reinstalled the previous version. Still no go.

Now I'm back on my trusty Linux, minus the lights, plus a broken heart.

I'm never booting Vista again in my life.

8. scook9

scook9 NBR Benching Addict

Reputations:
    Vista works fine, it just has to be setup correctly

9. youngkyu

youngkyu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Had some issues getting the lighting on the keyboard to work at first, but eventually fixed it. When I first finished installing, I opened up AlienFX Editor and there wasn't any option to change the lighting on the keyboard in basic theme. I eventually fixed it by going to advanced theme and making a theme there, and when I went back to basic theme, there were options available for the keyboard. Just wanted to put this out there in case someone had the same problem as me.

Thanks for the instructions on getting the new Command Center to install properly! I love the white. :)

Edit: I figured out why I wasn't getting the option for changing the lights on the keyboard.
    The default theme that was set for me was the file Alienware.ath, and in that theme file, apparently there aren't any options for changing the keyboard lights, but there are options when you create an entirely new theme.

10. ido50

ido50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone perhaps post a valid, new theme file?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.