New Clevos with Max-Q?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by pdrogfer, May 30, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What is this? I am not an apple user, I don't carry dongles with my devices :p

Also this machine starts up in 5-7 seconds, is always responsive , no dongles needed, only 1.2KG and has a native HDMI/ethernet/USB selection. No crummy app store and the ability to run a wide variety of applications like full office.

Plus I have socketed the BIOS chip and programmed the unlocked BIOS in it :)

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Even with more expensive items, a combination of "common knowledge" and reviews won't screw you too bad. For example, I've historically just gone by reviews for cars and bicycles and it's turned out well for me even though I meticulously research and test ride motorcycles.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is Nvidia Max-Q A Scam?!

He does a fine dance to justify the Max-Q :)

I wish he would have taken the opportunity of having all 3 Max-Q laptops (Asus, Aorus, Alienware, no Clevo) in hand to do some actual testing, measurements, and comparisons and presented those results instead of giving generalizations.

Finally he rests the value on 39dba measured noise output from the fans, but it's clearly much higher when gaming under load. We've seen this in video's, and @Darkhan 's measurements:
    From what I've heard from video's the fan noise has a much less offensive tone / pitch, just as forceful sounding, but less offensive. And, shaping the sound as well as directing it out into the room instead of back at the user is awesome.

I hope Asus and other makers make the same effort to shape and direct the fan noise in future full sized laptops too. :)

DukeCLR and Darkhan like this.
  4. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Max-Q can cap the fan at a certain speed . Do it if you want your laptop to run as hot as the Asus Zephyrus
    I always use headphone or earbud. I don't give a damn about noise , high temp can affect my laptop lifespan , not the noise .
    I think Linus's review video is much less biased than this one . Asus Zephyrus overheats right off the bat....

DukeCLR and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    I thought so too, that Max-Q caps the fan for noise output of 39dba, and it looks like it does - until it can't - the heat and constant load is seen and it then rev's up the fan's - videos show into the 60dba's+...

The good thing Aorus and Asus have done is to make new low profile fans that shape the sound, and then direct the sound with the chassis and vents so it goes behind the laptop and away from the user.

All the video's are biased in that they haven't thought the problem through completely, and given the time they have had with the laptop and the state of the public opinion at the time, they respond accordingly.

I think David did a good job within the confines he makes for himself :)

6. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well in the end he did have to suck up to nvidia for his own sake, which I can't really blame him for... although I do have to give him credit for pointing out clearly that max Q is so gimped that a gtx 1070 can easily match up to it. if you think about it the last part of his video didn't make any sense, because whatever new design these OEMs have could be easily applied to the 1070 without having to gimp anything

hmscott likes this.
  7. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You don't care about the noise, but there are other consumers out there.

For me was one of the top priorities when I bought my gtx1070 laptop. And the reason I returned a clevo and ended up with a Asus laptop.

The thing is, if they can cool a 1080mq they can cool a 1070n. It would only make sense if the prices where not that different.

Enviado do meu MHA-L29 através de Tapatalk

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any laptops with 1070 Max-Q out yet?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    I know it's a small niggle, but if "Max-Q" is in front of the GPU number I think that naming precession in location helps indicate the importance of the "Max-Q" over the GPU number.

Max-Q 1060, Max-Q 1070, and Max-Q 1080.

Give people fair warning by putting "Max-Q" first, instead of getting their hopes up by starting with "1080" :D

Darkhan and Papusan like this.
  10. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations: