New Clevos with Max-Q?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by pdrogfer, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup, in terms of QC and durability, Maxwell was a downgrade from Kepler. Those 780M cards were very durable and held up to some pretty crazy abuse. 980M offered higher clocks and more vRAM, but that's really about it. They were unnecessarily fragile and inconsistent quality. Mine were not worth a darn without hard modding to correct NVIDIA's intentional engineering defects. They were not as crappy as 7970M in terms of being failure prone, but they were closer to that than any other NVIDIA GPU I had owned since the 8800M days.

2. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed. So my point was there were different versions of the "980N" and for the most part, they were all charged AND marketed as the same thing despite having different capabilities.

That being said, I suspect the difference was less noticeable on stock settings and more an indicator of how they could overclock. But you combine that with how Pascal cards are basically running as fast as they can go without manual overclocking, then the result is the same.

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    To my knowledge, except the 130W ones in the GT80 (as I don't remember their performance on single card) all the cards had about the same stock performance. The GT80 cards I cannot remember if they were $1200 apiece. Do you?

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you mean the 180W 980 like what I tested in the Sky X9 for a little while, yes... those where priced every bit as asinine as 1080 as a standalone part purchse. It was around $1,200 which is roughly the same as what the 200W 980 price was, give or take ~$150. Maybe since they got away with it on the 980, they decided it would be OK to come back and rape us a second time.

Ramzay likes this.
  5. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    to be fair to nvidia tho, the 980Ms are cut downs from the 970, so by default they are probably inferior in qualities while the 780M is a full GK104 that has to run at lower voltages. if you think from a yield perspective, part of the reason that 980M has 1 more SMM disabled compared to 970 is probably because they can salvage more chips this way. so they are more of intentional inferior quality rather than engineered defects...

6. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

What is the realistic breakdown of price for each parts of a stock clevo DM3, KM1 LAPTOP including chassis, motherboard, heatsink, fan etc. if you bought on a res-seller? Lets say the default price is 2658$, how will it be divided?

I always have this delusion that I'm payed only 1500$ for a sli 1080. In my mind, 1000k for the two units then 100$ for the bridge and 400$ for design & interest since its for small form factor.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maxwell had a huge range of power consumption, designing a VRM that could cope with maximum overclocked load would have hurt efficiency at stock so i can see why they did what they did.

The extra VRM pads were probably insurance against AMD releasing a decent card and needing to raise clocks.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am not sure of the price of most of the parts. That information is extraordinarily hard to come by for Clevo, and getting service parts is also unnecessarily difficult. It used to be super easy to get replacement parts and part prices on Alienware system back in the day when they still sold good products. My M18xR2 was build entirely from new and used service parts acquired from Dell Spare Parts and eBay. Good luck doing that with a Clevo, or probably any other brand.

You're probably right about the insurance against threats from competitors. NGREEDIA does the same kind of manipulation and artificial metering of performance with firmware and drivers. Adding the missing VRMs and stronger resistors turned my 980M cards from fragile GPUs that didn't overclock worth a damn into durable and far more powerful GPUs that overclocked like crazy. Before the hardware mods, they could not take full advantage of the goodness enabled by the PremaMod firmware tweaks.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Way beyond spec for the engineer though and as I said at stock it made it more power hungry.

10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Wasn't that back when Alienware was using Clevo for barebones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.