New Clevos with Max-Q?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by pdrogfer, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The benchmark results do in fact indicate it is a MQ chip (it sits between 5% and 15% worse in games / benches depending on the game, with an average of closer to 10% worse).

It is truly disappointing that there is no mention of MQ anywhere. This was what worried me the most.

If brands can get away with selling a 1060MQ as a straight "1060" and dupe customers, then this means they can simply slide the 1060MQ into the 1060 price point without consumer resistance because the average consumer has been duped, and does not know better.

This means that, potentially, they can slide the entire product stack up by one cost tier.

This is a worst-case scenario of MQ for consumers, and what many who are against it have been talking about.

Just to be clear, I do not dispute that MQ has its audience. I, myself, would love an Aero 15 with a 1070MQ instead of a 1060 for the extra 10% performance, and I'd be happy to pay an extra 10% in price. I am not inherently against Max-Q, I am against what businesses will try to do in the name of maximizing profit, because the kind of schtick HP and likely many others is pulling or will pull is anti-consumer.

2. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As we have feared, Max-Q laptops are being labelled as regular GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080 laptops. It's a mess for the customer, no matter if they mislabel them this way on purpose or because they just don't know better. I wonder how many people will be tricked into buying an inferior product (performance-wise) without even knowing it and be in for a rude awakening when their laptop doesn't perform as expected.

hmscott, bennyg and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not surprised HP is doing this, but MSI? very disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  4. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So wait, once you buy it, how can you know if it is MQ or regular 1070? Does the nvidia control panel explicitly mentions MQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe it should say so in the CP if you go to "System Information" -- there is a screenshot of it in the HP Omen 15 review on NBC linked earlier.

However, what they *should* be doing is making it clear it's an MQ on the product label, the product box, and in the product's marketing.

Arondel, hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Indeed the max q variant will show an M under info, i.e GP106M.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ionising_Radiation and CedricFP like this.
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In hwinfo my full fat MSI 1070s (with SLI obviously) show as GP104M ... yet GPUz shows GP104.

See my screenshots here http://forum.notebookreview.com/index.php?posts/10548115

Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Where did you see that?

I see the Max-Q listed in the Nvidia information, like in GPU-Z, here's an example of the 1080 Max-Q, it says GP104, no "M":
    gpuz.png
    From this article:

Aorus X5 MD review – portable 15-inch laptop with GTX 1080 Max-Q graphics

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/17254-aorus-x5-md-review/

From this section:
    "But don’t get too excited just yet – this is where my interest in the Aorus x5 MD starts to fade away. Yes, you can overclock the CPU and GPU, but as far as I can tell, it hardly does a thing (especially for the GPU). The fact is, because of the Max-Q design, there is very little overhead to overclock anything without violating the 200W power limit Aorus set.

It would be nice if they allowed 230W, like on the Asus Zephyrus I just reviewed, but they didn’t. I don’t know if it was because of noise levels or what, but the performance on this laptop was not as good as I hoped. I’ll touch on this more in a bit."

It's a real problem now for not only people looking for Max-Q laptops, but a problem for those trying to make sure they aren't getting a Max-Q GPU, for those looking for full performance.

If makers and sellers don't list Max-Q customers are now not sure what they are really getting.

Max-Q is messing up the whole market.

CedricFP likes this.
  9. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I see...my bad. sorry. I saw the "M" in HWinfo but I didn´t realize all notebook variants show this.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It looks like the full 1070 shows an M after the number as well, per @bennyg , so that's not a good indicator for Max-Q.

Do you have a Max-Q laptop? Maybe dig around and post a few screen shots to help people identify where to look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.