New business ultrabook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by crimso, Dec 23, 2018.

1. crimso

crimso Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings,

I have read the guidlines about posting but in my case i dont really think its needed, but if you still think otherwise i will update.

I want a portable business ultrabook at max 14' because i will be traveling a lot from now on.
    My budget is from 1000 to 2000 euros and i am searching for the best deal within that range.

I have been looking at various reviews but what i have noticed is that there are big price diference from the countries the products are reviewed and mine.

So i will provide you with a link that searches through many shops in my country so you can propose me the best possible deal

https://www.skroutz.gr/

and some popular models for comparison.

t480s:
    https://www.skroutz.gr/c/25/laptop.html?from=catspan&keyphrase=t+480s

carbon x1:
    https://www.skroutz.gr/c/25/laptop/m/288/Lenovo.html?keyphrase=x1+carbon&o=carbon+x1

xps 13

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/25/laptop/...html?keyphrase=xps&o=xps+13&order_by=pricevat

In general i want a good keyboard, screen and battery life because i will be spending long hours on it.

Thank in advance for your help and time

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I will try to help you, but my website, noteb.com is mostly for the United States market. It works a little bit on the German and the UK market as well, but for Greece, the best I can do is give you some suggestions.

Also, the XPS 13 is not a business grade laptop so that I would recommend it. To understand better what a business laptop is, I suggest you read this: https://noteb.com/?content/article.php?/2018/06/14/why-get-a-business-laptop/

Also, Lenovo is considered to have the best laptop keyboard on the market, but I believe laptop keyboard quality is subjective. I think 10-year-old Clevo has a an excellent keyboard, though most people say Clevo makes terrible keyboards.

So this is what I my search turned out for you: noteb search. I've set the display to be 80% sRGB minimum, meaning you only get laptops with good displays in my results.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

You already spotted two of the best
    - Lenovo Carbon X1 is an excellent choice, though I know it has some throttling problems.
    - Lenovo T480s is a better value and performance in your case so that I would recommend this one over the X1.

Other laptops that you might find decent for you are:
    - Lenovo T480, it's similar to the T480s, just bulkier, better cooled and with a bigger battery
    - Dell Latitude 7490 should be a great laptop, but right now it depends on the motherboard revision. They had some bad motherboards all the way up to September 2018. Fortunately, fixing them was not an issue, and Dell covered them all under its warranty.
    - Toshiba Portege X30-E not much is known about Toshiba laptops, their business laptops tend to be rather good. Toshiba right now is only making business grade laptops.
    - HP Elitebook 840 G5 - is similar quality and as the Lenovo T series.
    - HP Zbook 14u G5 - don't know much about it, but HP Zbook line is HP's top line of laptops, is among the best on the market.

crimso likes this.
  3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The first aspect I look at when buy a notebook is the display. In general, the 1366 x 768 resolution panels tend to be dim with poor colour rendering, so look for 1920 x 1080 (FHD). I've yet to be convinced by the benefit of even higher resolution on a screen which is used at arm's length and the task of processing the extra pixels reduces the battery run time.

Avoid the top of range CPUs as they tend to have a price premium not justified by by any performance increase. More RAM and an SSD help the overall performance more than some extra MHz. I've also become very sensitive to fan noise. The detailed reviews at notebookcheck are one of the best resources for comparing contenders as the information is based on actual measurements and not on manufacturer's data. For example, weight is one aspect where the manufacturers say "starting from xx kg") which was based on a stripped down notebook with a small battery. The actual weight can be somewhat more.

John

crimso and Blacky like this.
  4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think you could make a pretty good argument that a WQHD screen is likely a higher quality screen in terms of color accuracy and fidelity, gamut and contrast, generally speaking of course, but you're right that few could use a 14" WQHD at native resolution. Even FHD on a 14" was tough for me after a few hours. I say get a FHD IPS and be done with it. I've yet to see a bad IPS screen.

I'd agree one of the mid range 15W quad cores likely offers the best bang for your buck. I'd say of the ones you listed, the T480 with i5-8250, 8GB of RAM and 256GB looks to be the best cost effective choice. The T480 is a bout 3.5 pounds, the T480s is about 3 pounds and the X1 Carbon is 2.5 pounds. Whether that's worth the extra money is a value judgment. Personally I wouldn't pay extra, but I don't need a portable notebook either. I've seen the XPS 13 and it's a solid notebook.

One notebook you didn't list, but might be worth a look is the Dell Latitude 7490, which was listed on the Skroutz website too. It's a solid all-around notebook. ThinkPads have the best keyboard in my opinion, but that's somewhat subjective and the Latitudes I've used lately are pretty decent too.

Aroc and crimso like this.
  5. crimso

crimso Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback !
    First of, as I can understand, everyone agrees that it wouldnt be worth it to go for a bigger resolution that FHD.
    Thats very important because the price gap is big

'Avoid the top of range CPUs as they tend to have a price premium not justified by by any performance increase'
    You are talking about the i7s there ? The thing is that most laptops that have 16gb ram + 500gb ssd tend to have an i7 instead of an i5 option. And i feel like less ram or ssd would make me feel restricted.

Also the price differences as far as it concerns the processors are not vast for example an hp elitbook 840 g5 with i5 8250u and 8 gb ram is at 1500 euro, while the same model with i7 8550u and 16 gb ram is at 1690.

Also would it be wiser to get an 8gb/256gb model like the t480 zaz proposed and then add aditional storage and ram ? if so what such upgrades would you recommend ?

Thanks a lot for your time !

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would second the T480 mentioned by @ZaZ .
    As for upgrades, that is up to you. Generally, 8GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD are more than enough for most people. But if you run memory-hungry programs, like video editing or virtual machines, then you might need more RAM and disk space.

For the Lenovo I would also recommend you buy the battery upgrade if you can, it has various battery configurations as you can see from noteb.com.

As for the higher resolution display. I am a big fan of higher resolutions, if you don't like keeping things at native resolution because they are too small, you can always use Windows scaling to make things bigger. Windows scaling has gotten rather good in the past year.
    So say you have 2560x1440 display and you scale it to FullHD resolution, what would be the advantages?
    1. The image will be slightly crisper and clearer
    2. Higher resolution displays generally have better colour reproduction and luminosity.

As these advantages worth the price difference, that's up to you. Regarding productivity, I don't think the higher resolution will help that much on a 14-inch display. But higher resolution displays on business laptops are generally higher quality than FullHD ones, hence why I searched for laptops with resolutions higher than FullHD.

Aroc and crimso like this.
  7. crimso

crimso Newbie

Reputations:
    From all the laptops you proposed, in greece only one configuration of t480s has a 2560x1440 resolution with 16gb/500 at 2.214 euro while the fhd one with 8/500 is at 1.769 and the 8/256 at 1500.
    So the price gap seems rather big to me. But still i have not seen myself the difference so i can judge.
    The 8 gb ram will most likelly be sufficient, but i really doubt the 256 gb ssd. I would idealy like to have a 1tb hdd but since that doesnt seem possible i think i should go at least for a 500gb one.
    As about the batteries the stores does not give information about the wh the most i can see is a 3 cell battery so i guess its the smallest possible ?

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The price difference is huge for the 2560x1440 display, and not worth it. If you don't like the screen, consider that you can replace it with a better one from eBay or Aliexpress. It will be around 100 euro to get a new better one.

As for the SSD, you can also buy one separately and install it yourself. It will probably be cheaper. Just check with the warranty conditions from where you buy the laptop, but according to the EU regulations, your warranty is not void if you make changes to your hardware unless the defects that you encounter afterwards are the result of your tampering with the device. So for instance, if you replace the SSD, they can't refuse to warrant your device if the display or memories are faulty.

crimso likes this.
  9. crimso

crimso Newbie

Reputations:
    Good to know I have these options for upgrade so the options I am considering right now are
    T480 (i5-8250U/8GB/256GB/FHD/W10) at 1377
    T480 (i7-8550U/8GB/256GB/FHD/W10) at 1498
    and have an imediate ssd upgrade, if i am not mistaken i can place a second one if not replacing ( i might be wrong though) for example a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 500GB (2280 type) will cost 132 euros

Also 2 other options i can consider since you said its of similar quality are the following hp laptops

HP EliteBook 840 G5 (i5-8250U/8GB/256GB/FHD/W10) at 1158

HP EliteBook 840 G5 (i5-8250U/8GB/512GB/FHD/W10) at 1500

HP EliteBook 840 G5 (i7-8550U/16GB/512GB/FHD/W10) at 1690

Which of them you think will be the most value ?
    thanks a lot

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think in terms of i5 vs i7, you should read this: https://noteb.com/?content/article.php?/2018/03/04/core-i5-or-core-i7/

Generally speaking, it's not worth buying the i7 U series unless you want to brag about it. The i7 is 10% faster than the i5 and the extra speed won't be noticeable unless you are doing processor intensive tasks.

Let's see what may compare tool has to say: Lenovo Thinkpad T480 vs HP EliteBook 840 G5
    They are almost identical, but the Elitebook seems to be better, in the sense that it is lighter and has a better display (90% sRGB). The Lenovo, on the other hand, has a better keyboard.
    Given the price difference, I would go with the Elitebook - 1160 euro version.

crimso likes this.