New Business Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Meetloaf13, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13 fear the MONKEY!!!

Reputations:
    I have answered everything below, here are a few notes.

I currently have a Gigabyte Aero 15x, it has an i9-8950 & nVidia 2070, 32GB RAM ( I added 16 GB).

My use case is business, but it's a bit unique. On an average given day I'm probably using 16 GB of RAM and between running monitors via my thunderbolt dock and other programs, I push a decent amount of CPU cycle. It's sort of a desktop replacement that is still movable and not a tank. I have separate keyboard and mouse and 3 monitors.

I'm mostly enjoyed the Gigabyte (it's my second Aero 15). It's pretty light, slim, well-built, powerful. I was gaming a lot, had plenty of juice, but that time in my life has passed.

I REALLY dislike how hot it gets. If I had a redo, I wouldn't have purchased the i9, but I got a screaming deal on it. As it is, when I would game, even Fortnite, I had to run the fans on max AND use a cooling pad in order to avoid thermal throttling. I'm tired of a laptop that runs hot.

Here's what I need:
    - decent CPU
    - i only need a GPU to the extent I can run 3 monitors from my laptop, right now I run one from the HDMI port, one from the USBC/thunderbolt monitor port, and one from the thunderbolt doc that is connected to my thunderbolt data port.
    - Keyboard: I really enjoy back-lit keys. I don't need Chroma, although, I prefer them to be lit up 'red', so much easier on the eyes when using the machine in the dark. I need a 10-key pad ON the laptop...or I could maybe find a 10-key separate for the few times when I am using the laptop remotely.
    - 2 slots for NVME or similar SSDs, I really prefer to have at least 1.5TB, I will purchase separate drives if I need to

I would prefer that the machine is lightweight, but not a deal killer if it's middling. I don't need touchscreen or anything like that, but that's fine if so. I don't need 4K on my laptop, but whatever if it's part of the deal.

Thanks!

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    up to ~$2,000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Business (heavy RAM and at time CPU usage, multimedia)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Occasionally

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    NO, not any more

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4 would be nice, battery life is low on my totem pole, will mostly be plugged in

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Must be Windows Professional

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p is fine, 4K is a cherry on top, but not necessary. This laptop will be running 3 1080P monitors.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesnt matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Muted aesthetics, will be used in a business environment

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Prefer to have 2 nvme/msata slots. I will likely run 2 x 1TB SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    within the next few months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    2 years, I rotate machines pretty often

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    preferably not at all

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    on-site would be nice, but not necessary

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe you could consider the new Sager / Clevo NH58AC. The AMD Zen2 desktop processors should run cooler than Intel's mobile processors at the same performance level. A 1660Ti should be fine for three external 1080p displays. The only downside is the Clevo may be a slight step down in build quality from the Aero - but as long as your machine isn't in rough environments it should be fine.

Oh, and you may also want to ask Sager if the 144hz panel on the NH58AF1 has wider gamut than the 120hz panel on the NH58AC. In the polish review of the Hyperbook NH5 Zen (same Clevo chassis) the 120hz panel only had 60% sRGB, a pretty significant drop from what your Aero 15 currently has. In that case you would have to pay for the 2070 to get the better display, unfortunately..

Meetloaf13 likes this.
  3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd say a business class notebook - HP, Dell and Lenovo all have them, with a docking station might be worth a look. A docking station should help with the cable management. In theory you should be able to unplug and take the notebook with you or plug it back in without having to set up everything, though it's been a while since I've had a notebook with a dock. I don't think you need a particularly powerful GPU as most notebook can do three screen.

4. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    Which processor would be comparable to an i7?

I'm liking this Sager/Clevo. I still have a Sager that's in operation, an old i7/nVidia 980 that was a beast (heavy though).

I'm really hoping to get something that stays in the 40s while idling. I do see they hav cooling upgrades, extra copper, and thermal pads, are those worth it? Or is it a gimmick?

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    This site indicates intels desktop CPU is cooler than this amd desktop CPU, and this would be going in a laptop with inferior cooling. Sounds like it may not be cooler after all?

6. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    With the 3950X and 2070 it idles at ~45C on the GPU and 60C on the CPU in "Silent" mode (2000rpm for both fans). However that processor has 16 cores idling at 3400mhz so it is probably going to be higher than others because of that. The 3700X or even 3600 would be cooler at idle I would guess.

If you are looking for a good Intel option and don't mind repasting, the Dell Precision 7540 could work. If your apps work fine running on the Intel GPU, you could potentially get one without any dedicated card, further reducing idle temps and cost.

Meetloaf13 likes this.
  7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Recommending TS to go for the Clevo System(XMG Apex15/HyperBook NH5zen/AfterShock Forge15R), could be an overkill in business environment. Unless TS is doing 3D CADCAM/image rendering works, the dGPU may have little help in that environment.
    If TS needs 3 screens to work,
    [​IMG]
    https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/p/81YQ...7bd8f5bbb&fromEdit=true&transMessageFlag=true
    ...would this be sufficient? Or TS might wanna wait for the ThinkPad E series with such selective components configuration availability?

Meetloaf13 likes this.
  8. Meetloaf13

Reputations:
    I'm really liking the idea of the Ryzen. Especially where the only place it's losing out to Intel right now is the gaming performance, which I no longer care about.

I'll be keeping my eyes out for some of the Sager/Clevo new offerings, probably ThinkPads as well.

I think I'll shoot for the 4700 or 4800. Seems to be a good spot. Ryzen 9 is Overkill for what I need, and I'd really like to keep thermals under control so I can't get back to a fairly silent machine and setup, as well as not needing a cooling pad.

9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Probably the world's first video review on the 4000series entry lvl 6core CPU in a slim chasis!

for business use, this shouldn't disappoints...​

10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    The Dell G5 SE AMD may be a good option when its released. It does have the number pad and should be able to go up to 32GB of RAM, 1xNVMe and 1x2.5 inch SSD/HDD. In theory it can also be eligible for onsite service too which is a plus. The aesthetics look relatively muted based on the preview videos of it from CES2020.

Are you open to repasting a laptop yourself? Many of these models will probably need it in order to behave consistently with regard to temperature and noise. Some boutique resellers can provide it as a service if you do not feel comfortable doing that yourself.

The Clevo NH58AF1 is definitely a compute monster, but it does get pretty loud at idle and load from what I have experienced so far. The only real reason to consider it is if you need RAM above 32GB or CPU beyond 4800H performance, which neither seems the case.