New BIOS for 15R2/17R3 v1.4.4

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by 95TA, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have updated both just to be safe.

2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am still in micro code BA. Good or Bad?

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I flashed 1.4.4 with zero issues. It contains only new microcode C2 which has noticeable slowdowns in CPU speed and NVMe speeds as well.

4. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And that will NOT remove the microcode patch that 1.4.4 installed.

Microcode is not a "BIOS". BIOSes can be overwritten in whole, or in part. Microcode ONLY is updated in part. There is no source of a "complete" microcode image for any processor anywhere.

They only patch microcode. That is, a chuck is set to be changed, is changed and verified is changed and is done. Once that is done you need another "update" that will rewrite that area to change it again. There is no reverting back to a previous version.

0lok likes this.
  5. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seems like I will be updating as well then. Hopefully my CPU won't throttle as I had bad experience when I updated my bios. Don't know what's wrong with it tho. I will try later tonight. Hope I won't brick this out of warranty laptop. LOL

6. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, I may add, I find this Intel BS that older processors take more of a hit vs newer ones to be highly suspect.

Sounds more like they purposely added in slow code so that newer processors are more desirable. I hope that public and business outcry to protect our investments cause them to institute further "upgrades" to mitigate the slow-downs imposed by their "fixes".

VICKYGAMEBOY, Papusan and 0lok like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The new win 10 updates has reduced the slowness caused due to the new ucodes.

8. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will believe that when it becomes public knowledge (ie, when publications start saying that the impact is minimal)...

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I updated w10 creators to build 877.

10. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly, the impact of these "fixes" should be pretty small if done right... you will have certain things being heavily impacted if they solely relied upon these "features" but, honestly, the "exposure" to be able to steal "personal data" is very very low since "personal data" is relatively complex, relatively large-scale in comparison to what these hacks can have access to.

The big issue is they are taking a sledgehammer approach to trying to "mitigate the exposure" of the flaws, when a seriously surgical precision should be applied to protecting the really concerning "personal data" that everyone is worried about.