New BIOS for 15R2/17R3 v1.4.4

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by 95TA, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilicitano

ilicitano Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @0lok thanks. I'm pretty sure I have cleared CMOS because the laptop restarted automatically about 2-3 times before loading windows. It's the second time I have cleared CMOS so looks this issue is not related with it. Maybe is some driver installed or so.

0lok likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @VICKYGAMEBOY @Papusan @HunterZ0 @rinneh @0lok
    For those who like to upgrade your MEI_FW to fix Intel SA00086.
    1. Uninstall MEI driver completely using revo or similar
    2. Reboot
    3. I hope everybody downloaded latest MEI SW from Dell, if so, unpack it using 7-zip or winrar and you should get SetupME.exe along with few files
    4. Follow this guide https://gist.github.com/CHEF-KOCH/15ef90bb4c7ac7aa7923de625c98cd41
    5. Open cmd or powershell in elevated mode and type the first cmd:
      Code:
      SetupME.exe -tcs -nodrv
    6. Don't close the cmd prompt window yet since we need to type some cmds to install the driver only version:
      Code:
      SetupME.exe -drvonly
    7. After that, download Prema ME11 tool
    8. Unpack ME11 tool with Password: premamod.com and open cmd prompt or powershell as admin pointing to ME11 folder location. For example look at the screenie below: meiinstr.PNG
    9. Type the cmd:
      Code:
      FWUpdLcl64.exe -f Data.bin -forcereset
    10. Make sure you're connected to AC power. This is the final result I got. meifw.PNG
    Hope this helps everybody.

Note: I observed issues like VICKYGAMEBOY had where, TPm would show Code 10 error after Clearing the TPM via Windows. I had to uninstall the driver and reset the BIOS to default and had to Program Main,Boot and NVRAM using AFUWinx64 just to get TPM device up and running. And one more thing SA0086 Intel's tool was giving a warning saying re-key was needed. Re-key will not be shown if you followed my guide. Hopefully fingers crossed.
    @VICKYGAMEBOY Please test it.
    If you guys aren't clearing TPM then I feel TPM device will be working perfectly. As always, if you're out of warranty or afraid don't try this.
    I leave @VICKYGAMEBOY to become the tester. Even I'm out of warranty and successfully flashed it with zero issues.
    Bonus or easter egg: Booting to W10 is slightly faster say 1-3 secs and initialises very quickly. Do note I used Prema's generic MEFW rather than Dell's firmware. By doing this, all future MEFW update can be done locally because it is enabled and not locked by BIOS. Thanks to Chef Koch.
    Chef Koch mentioned that this 11.8 solves most issues but one exploit is remaining namely "Pawned by USB exploit" which is fixed in 11.8.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    joluke, 0lok and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  3. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i will test it after 15th, im doing some project with my laptop currently, and i dont have another system on standby.. nice post tho..

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    No problem, take your time.

5. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    @Vasudev @Papusan @judal57 there is a new bios published today, same version number, but marked as urgent, im gonna flash and see how things goes..

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Why does the BIOS contain the microcode that Intel pulled? Anyway I already have ME and uCode updated in 1.3.12.

7. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    @Vasudev @Papusan are they fooking kidding me, its the same bios they published again without the ME Firmware updated, at this point im afraid to ask anything from dell, still vulnerable to SA0086, did they publish wrong bios once again, godamn dell

Vasudev likes this.
  8. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you try rolling back? Does it still say its protected and cannot roll back?

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Apply the ME FW yourself, takes a min or two, disable AV before continuing the FW patch. Follow instruction like I mentioned in older posts.
    Bootup in 3 sec faster and CPU stutters less when workload is 100%.

10. 95TA

95TA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They re-released it because Microsoft put out a fix to keep the reboots from happening...

As far as they are concerned, they are "following what Intel and Microsoft recommend" which is horsesh*t...

They love the fact is brings systems to their knees because it helps them sell more systems... Unknowing consumers blame the exploits, and the vendors get a chance to sell more products with lies... win-win for the vendors...

Ideally all of this should be put on hold until a real fix is put in place on all levels... But that will require work on everyones part and the vendors really don't care about support at all... They just want to prevent the possibility of consumers getting pissed off and class-action suits because they didn't take any action...

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.