New BIOS for 15R2/17R3 v1.4.4

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by 95TA, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @VICKYGAMEBOY @Papusan I updated the BIOS and it contains only microcode. SA0086 is still vulnerable.
    @Falkentyne Do I need to remove BIOS Lock to change MEFW Lock to be disabled for good?

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I expect it is other AW owners on the forum who use TW or FB who could ask the BOSS.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    long awaited BIOS turns out to be bad.. there is no ME firmware update included.. may be they will do that in a separate installer, no stutters or what so ever, Yes the initial boot after the bios update was pretty long.. havnt gamed yet..

0lok, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Reverted back to Daz's BIOS. I'll see if I can unlock the MEFW myself and all menus to update Prema ME FW and goodies.

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  7. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought if you update this security bios update you wont have an option to roll back..

8. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is correct... Once the microcode is updated in the processor you cannot revert it back without another microcode update.

That is the whole issue with these "processor flaws" is that you have multiple layers of issues.

Primary is a processor microcode flaw that needs to be patched. This BIOS does that.

Secondary is a operating system flaw (that, quite frankly, is because of the way they wrote the OS, they took advantage of a processor "feature" and since it operated a certain way they felt it was "proper" for it work that way, when in reality it opened a hole) so they have to patch the OS to fix the hole in the OS.

I almost wouldn't trust these "tests" that tell you if your processor is vulnerable. They probably just check to see if certain functions are available, not really running a "hack" to see if real data is available (ie, they would not offer a "test" that would actually hack a system, in other words, they wouldn't give a running example of how to exploit these flaws to everyone).

The OS level patch is the one that will "fix" the OS to return an error or refuse to do the command chain that would result in a "hack".

The big issue here is the microcode update is known to cause system reboots. If that update is run, you are no longer vulnerable, but the OS can still exception and cause a complete fault and reboot because it hasn't been patched to deal with the exception the processor will assert when you depend on the functions that have been patched in the microcode.

Personally, until the OSes are patched, there is no reason to introduce instability in your system with the BIOS update.

The even bigger issue here is that any older operating systems that are unpatched will be unstable from the time you update the microcode.

Basically, all "system restore" images are unstable. All "out of the box" OS images are unstable. And, personally, I wouldn't trust an OS installation that reboots randomly when you are installing it. That is just asking for trouble.

If MSoft and the rest wanted a way to "eliminate the viability of older distributions" they finally have it.

From here on out there we are in a "post processor flaw" timeline.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I reverted back to 1.3.12 with microcode update C2.

10. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sound complicated for me. LOL. would this mean if you update your bios, you must also update windows. As of the moment I dont have any issues with my laptop and I don't know how will I get hack or if anyone will bother hacking me. LOL. from the looks of it you know better than I do. so what would be the best option to do? Update bios and windows or I'll just enjoy using my laptop and try not to worry of this things?